• No I cant

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
get on f-droid dawg
It's so mediocre desu. It always fucking shits itself when getting repos, main repo like months behind sometimes, and the devs reject stuff they don't agree with.

doing work on your computer
Linux is KANG for software development. I would rather cut myself than write a single line of code on Windows again. Worst shit in my life, unless your a game dev or forced to use Microsoft Java (C#)

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
Been thinking about trying them out for a while, but I never find a good excuse to bother.

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
It's so mediocre desu. It always fucking shits itself when getting repos, main repo like months behind sometimes, and the devs reject stuff they don't agree with.

Linux is KANG for software development. I would rather cut myself than write a single line of code on Windows again. Worst shit in my life, unless your a game dev or forced to use Microsoft Java (C#)
Should I install Linux and become a python fag

What is your opinion on this topic

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
Should I install Linux and become a python fag

What is your opinion on this topic
I think Python is alright on Windows, but still, most developers these days always run Linux, or Mac; Literally anything UNIX-y or unix-like. The window subsystem for Linux barely gets by and it's just a cope cuz windows can't do shit for development

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
I think Python is alright on Windows, but still, most developers these days always run Linux, or Mac; Literally anything UNIX-y or unix-like. The window subsystem for Linux barely gets by and it's just a cope cuz windows can't do shit for development
Do you just code in C? What does Linux actually offer in comparison to Mac (functionality wise I don't care about open source)

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
Do you just code in C?
I write C++ mostly, C for a hobby, Perl and Python for street shitter scripts or whatever or bots online idc lol.

What does Linux actually offer in comparison to Mac (functionality wise I don't care about open source)
Glad you asked, cuz I've used both for a while, but ended up just using Linux full time. Basically, macOS is definitely better than Windows for development, no denying it, but it still has some flaws/advantages that separate it from Linux. macOS is actually based on FreeBSD (kind of), so it's basically a *BSD but with a few Applefaggotry things

There isn't a native package manager, you gotta use Homebrew or Macports (most people use Homebrew, but its kind of funky with libraries). The worst you have to install is XCode or the XCode toolkits, but thankfully its sort of optional.

macOS is kind of slow as dogshit and you're likely forced to use a macbook unless you suffer with a Hackintosh (just use Linux at this point). Everytime I tried compiling a program and running my own binary, it phones home to Apples servers, which caused this 1-2s delay because apple servers are dogshit and my internet sucks. You can't turn this off, it's more annoying than it is creepy. Also brace yourself for something weird to happen every 6 months, not a big deal but they shove out shitty upgrades that keep making the OS slower and bad.

For Python though? Yeah no worries, I think an older Python comes out of the box because Apple doesn't give a shit about security on their macbooks, just run brew install python to install latest. It's the soyboy's OS of choice for web development too.

The rest of the decision is based on if you like Apple or macOS. macOS is very pretty but IMO the workflow is shit and i hate the workspace animations they force you to watch, especially when working on a laptop, so flipping back and forth really bothered me (and you cant turn it off). I like the KDE workflow more, its more customizable, and it still looks pretty damn good, and nice if you're a windowscel. Even Steam uses KDE on their Steam Deck Handheld's lol.

tl;dr give each one a try, see which one floats ur boat. asking linux lusers on the internet about an opinion usually turns out dogshit autistic and retarded as fuck so i usually just tell everyone this

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
I write C++ mostly, C for a hobby, Perl and Python for street shitter scripts or whatever or bots online idc lol.

Glad you asked, cuz I've used both for a while, but ended up just using Linux full time. Basically, macOS is definitely better than Windows for development, no denying it, but it still has some flaws/advantages that separate it from Linux. macOS is actually based on FreeBSD (kind of), so it's basically a *BSD but with a few Applefaggotry things

There isn't a native package manager, you gotta use Homebrew or Macports (most people use Homebrew, but its kind of funky with libraries). The worst you have to install is XCode or the XCode toolkits, but thankfully its sort of optional.

macOS is kind of slow as dogshit and you're likely forced to use a macbook unless you suffer with a Hackintosh (just use Linux at this point). Everytime I tried compiling a program and running my own binary, it phones home to Apples servers, which caused this 1-2s delay because apple servers are dogshit and my internet sucks. You can't turn this off, it's more annoying than it is creepy. Also brace yourself for something weird to happen every 6 months, not a big deal but they shove out shitty upgrades that keep making the OS slower and bad.

For Python though? Yeah no worries, I think an older Python comes out of the box because Apple doesn't give a shit about security on their macbooks, just run brew install python to install latest. It's the soyboy's OS of choice for web development too.

The rest of the decision is based on if you like Apple or macOS. macOS is very pretty but IMO the workflow is shit and i hate the workspace animations they force you to watch, especially when working on a laptop, so flipping back and forth really bothered me (and you cant turn it off). I like the KDE workflow more, its more customizable, and it still looks pretty damn good, and nice if you're a windowscel. Even Steam uses KDE on their Steam Deck Handheld's lol.

tl;dr give each one a try, see which one floats ur boat. asking linux lusers on the internet about an opinion usually turns out dogshit autistic and retarded as fuck so i usually just tell everyone this
Very interesting and informative, thank you :)

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
Alright gamers I'm installing Ubuntu on an old student laptop I found in my closet, if I like it I'll ditch windows on my pc.

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
Big mistake

Ubuntu is bloaty as FUCK. If you're going that route, you're better off installing the lightweight version that runs well even on shitty computers https://lubuntu.me/
I'm just running it on an old laptop as a first time trial run, I'm not that worried. If I get interested enough to install it on my main PC I'll look into what distro is best, not interested in dual-booting.

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
where can I get linux for niggers?
Linux for Niggers already happened buddy. Remember when we had fucking cool ass floating windows and fucking FIRE on the desktop and shit? that shit was BADASS

But now? Now we're trying to run shit on your faggot mobile phones so we can invent more Phoneposters..... Now we're trying to deprecate X.org for """""security""""" by removing VSync and functionality support (as a feature :)) in some shitty new technology called Gayland. Now we put Systemd in your Systemd and now Lennart Pottyring joined Michaelsoft, just as he visioned.

Screen recording? Goyslop Zoom calls for professional business attire while you rice yuor epic desktop? Window screenshots?? FUCK THAT, Screen capturing is a VULNERABILITY because Niggers can install whatever they want and WE CANT TRUST LUSERS. We containerized your fucking containerisms into more FUCKING CONTAINERS with Flatpak because Free Open Source Software can have Whitey SQL C++++ Memleak injections, and that's bad!!!!! Trust nobody!!

The Linux desktop already HAPPENED when it was made for whitey folk and we traveled BACKWARDS like fucking mongoloid man to help benefit the NIGGERS.

Linux for Niggers is HERE. It's been here for about 4-5 years now. It's been happening.

Aspistasia

Newfag
Reaction score
gnu-guix for it's sex property time machine orgies and honestly just use whatever suits ur needs. I've heard zoomers now days install https://termux.dev/en/ on there quest2 only to configure there IDE within emacs while keeping it on life support 4 there epic HACKING and VRCHAT orgies to become one.

2MB

Ediot
Reaction score
I play a lot of older rpgs and had no idea they would even be able to run on Linux lol.
ANY game can run on Linux with the right kind of tinkering. Hell, half the time you wouldn't need to tinker with it. There's DOSBOX/ScummVM for older games (which GOG bundles with the old games they sell you so they basically do the work for you), and for everything else there's WINE or using a VM (specifically VMWare Workstation Player, which is free, and you can get the operating systems here)

Sigilstone17

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is the purpose of Wine though... to provide these, and there are a lot of things in .net
Wine doesn't run anything .net 5 and up, they're too fucking stupid to make it work. The consequences of free, open source software.

Lovecraft

14 cats in a trenchcoat
Reaction score
Wine doesn't run anything .net 5 and up, they're too fucking stupid to make it work. The consequences of free, open source software.
Uhh.. .net isn't free open software, and the reason it won't run is because the wine developers have to reverse engineer that shite to make it work, which takes a lot of time and effort.

ASSBLONKER

GORILLA PIMP
Reaction score

THIS IS COMPLETE UNTRUE MOST SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT DONE ON WINDOWS OR MAC NOWADAYS,FOR EXAMPLE .NET STACK WHICH VERY COMMON IN TECH FIRMS...

I THINK U HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT, AND I ALSO THINK I COULD BEAT UR ASS IRL BECAUSE IM 6 FOOT AND 205 LBS SO VERY LIKELY I COULD INJURE YOU BADLY

TY FOR READING
GOODDBYLE

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
THIS IS COMPLETE UNTRUE MOST SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT DONE ON WINDOWS OR MAC NOWADAYS,FOR EXAMPLE .NET STACK WHICH VERY COMMON IN TECH FIRMS...

I THINK U HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT, AND I ALSO THINK I COULD BEAT UR ASS IRL BECAUSE IM 6 FOOT AND 205 LBS SO VERY LIKELY I COULD INJURE YOU BADLY

TY FOR READING
GOODDBYLE
or in reality it just depends on where you decide to work. some places seem to promote Go as the standard, some use microsoft Java because they shill microsoft products like fucking retard. It quite honestly depends if you work for a generic wage slave job or for a competent place

a lot of firms _do_ promote windows or mac because they're retards who dump the money into it because they dont know or do any better

dont give a fuck what the corpo world does though all that shit is for money i only use that for money. i do the rest for fun in my spare time

2MB

Ediot
Reaction score
dont give a fuck what the corpo world does though
Agreed. These are the same people that will complain about loosing money but will happily pay for subscriptions up the ass and then lay off a few people, even their best ones, just to save a few pennies while giving some people TWO jobs to work within the same company but with no increase in pay.

Top Bottom