Doing your own mechanical work.

Yarblesthefilth

Normie?
Reaction score
Is ED man enough to change their own tyre? That's a good start. How about doing your own oil and filter changes? Woo, look at you. Have you changed your own belts, spark plugs, coils, water pumps, whole ass radiators? Share your knuckle busting experiences that kept wads of cash in your own pocket rather than the local mechanic's.

As an outback trucker I've done plenty of this shit obviously. But my worst experiences were with my ex's second hand fiat, that fucking piece of shit blew a radiator 3 days before Christmas. I was barely able to get a new one in time and was up at 5am on Christmas day changing it so we could go out with more than just ourselves. My own vehicle is a 2 seater ute. There was no room in the engine bay for my fat fucking arms and when I was finished it looked like I was a cutter suffering from BPD.

Call Me Tim

Boomer
Reaction score
Coil spring compressors are called widow makers for good reason.

done everything but a transmission rebuild on old GM and Fords. Was going to rebuild a 1980 Dodge Ram PU 318 CI engine but place I was going to work on it dried up. Pretty familiar with old 2002's and Nissans. Pulled a VW bus engine, pulled the cylinders and replaced the rings, only to find the heads cracked and warped. Shame it was a former friend of mine's very nice exterior bus. ,

Yarblesthefilth

Normie?
Reaction score
Coil spring compressors are called widow makers for good reason.

done everything but a transmission rebuild on old GM and Fords. Was going to rebuild a 1980 Dodge Ram PU 318 CI engine but place I was going to work on it dried up. Pretty familiar with old 2002's and Nissans. Pulled a VW bus engine, pulled the cylinders and replaced the rings, only to find the heads cracked and warped. Shame it was a former friend of mine's very nice exterior bus. ,
Like a kombi full size bus? You've definitely delved deeper than I into engine repairs.

Yarblesthefilth

Normie?
Reaction score
And don't worry. With your girlfriends' poor choices in motor vehicles you should surpass my knowledge in very little time.
That was my ex for a reason. My current spouse has an early 00's corolla, in 3 years I've only done a rocker cover gasket and oil/filter changes on it. Starts and drives flawlessly every time <3.

TinFoilHatGuy

ปีศาจผิวขาว
Reaction score
@~2:00
for driving context, I wasn't in a car chase but there was cocaine involved and getting air on the intersections was how I bottomed out and punched a hole in the oil pan on
C5DDE6BA-D8B7-4811-B14D-C875A9011F7E.jpeg

my 1969 Cougar, it was -5 C. On New Years Day, I had to work in the morning 200 miles away, so I replaced the oil pan after removing it in the dark, next to the curb at a friends house with a bottle jack to raise the engine and some random combination wrenches I managed to scrape together... I cried real tears, my hands hurt so bad, but after hammer-welding the pan with a propane torch I managed to get the leak down to a slow drip........drip........etc
poured about three quarts innit during 200m trip and made it to work.

also rebuilt many Ford C-4, C-6, Chevy turbo-350 and 400, and Chrysler 727 transmissions, quite a few Ford and Chevy small blocks, Ford FE 390 big block in my 1968 Cougar, also had a 1956 Chevy Business Coupe that I bought with no engine or transmission (it was a veteran of the 70s bracket racing wars) and got a 1968 Camaro 396 and Muncie Rock-Crusher (m-22) 4 speed transmission from a wrecking yard, and the car already had a 57 Pontiac rear differential with 4.88:1 gears (looow)... kick myself every day for selling that car, but I had to pay off all the speeding and reckless driving tickets I got in it, so yeah... couple busted knuckes maybe

Yarblesthefilth

Normie?
Reaction score
@~2:00
for driving context, I wasn't in a car chase but there was cocaine involved and getting air on the intersections was how I bottomed out and punched a hole in the oil pan on View attachment 77665
my 1969 Cougar, it was -5 C. On New Years Day, I had to work in the morning 200 miles away, so I replaced the oil pan after removing it in the dark, next to the curb at a friends house with a bottle jack to raise the engine and some random combination wrenches I managed to scrape together... I cried real tears, my hands hurt so bad, but after hammer-welding the pan with a propane torch I managed to get the leak down to a slow drip........drip........etc
poured about three quarts innit during 200m trip and made it to work.

also rebuilt many Ford C-4, C-6, Chevy turbo-350 and 400, and Chrysler 727 transmissions, quite a few Ford and Chevy small blocks, Ford FE 390 big block in my 1968 Cougar, also had a 1956 Chevy Business Coupe that I bought with no engine or transmission (it was a veteran of the 70s bracket racing wars) and got a 1968 Camaro 396 and Muncie Rock-Crusher (m-22) 4 speed transmission from a wrecking yard, and the car already had a 57 Pontiac rear differential with 4.88:1 gears (looow)... kick myself every day for selling that car, but I had to pay off all the speeding and reckless driving tickets I got in it, so yeah... couple busted knuckes maybe
Damn, check out Jay Leno over here

TinFoilHatGuy

ปีศาจผิวขาว
Reaction score
Whoops forgot, also owned a fiat 124 spyder that was given to me by a friend, the day after my insane redhead gf forced me to sell my one true love, a 1964 Alfa-Romeo Spyder Giullietta... also had a 1971 Dodge Charger with a 383 and a '66 Volkswagen fastback with the pancake dual carb motor...
love me some ute's too, Bro, I had a 1974 and a 1979 El Camino which were my rolling workbenches basically, with all that transmission work one must be able to tear down the thing, drive it over to the car wash and pressure wash all the parts before rebuilding can commence... thank god I got those dui's, cars would have surely killed me had I not quit driving. :P

Last edited:

Maysam

stapling tapeworms on his penis
Reaction score
I repair everything, nothing is safe: cars, motorcycles, bicycles, washing machines, window mechanisms or door hinges around the house. I draw the line at phones n tablets, I refuse taking something apart where I have to melt the display glue or some shit like that.
So yeah I obviously completely rebuilt my 1954 Renault 4CV, but also did shit like immediately changing the timing belt + water pump on my wifes Opel Astra G after buying it and not knowing if and when this was ever done.

Last edited:

Yarblesthefilth

Normie?
Reaction score
I repair everything, nothing is safe: cars, motorcycles, bicycles, washing machines, window mechanisms or door hinges around the house. I draw the line at phones n tablets, I refuse taking something apart where I have to melt the display glue or some shit like that.
So yeah I obviously completely rebuilt my 1954 Renault 4CV, but also did shit like immediately changing the timing belt + water pump on my wifes Opel Astra G after buying it and now knowing if and when this was ever done.
Amazing how people will throw out a whole $1000 washing machine after a a few years if the tub suspension gives out.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
i change my own tires because necessary while out with no cell signal in huge gaps on my route. i'd like to learn how to change my own oil n brake pads but it'll have to wait cuz i think adding more stuff to my plate at the moment is a terrible idea

SuperChongus

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Oil's not a difficult one, unless your manufacturer is GM and the autistic engineer put the oil filter in the worst possible place.

Top Bottom