Everyone stare directly at the sun! 2024

crab nebula

Ediot
Reaction score
Probably the L2 lagrange point
Both the tidally locked far side of the moon and the earth are completely lit which would mean that they are facing the sun. There would have to be some science magic to see the dark side of both the sun and moon fully lit from the L2 gravitational position.

L2 is used for looking out into the universe (JWST)

Ok, now I did look up the satellites in L1 and it sounds like the Deep Space Climate Observatory - designed to image the sunlit earth in 10 wavelengths.

Quence

Gay man
Reaction score
Both the tidally locked far side of the moon and the earth are completely lit which would mean that they are facing the sun. There would have to be some science magic to see the dark side of both the sun and moon fully lit from the L2 gravitational position.

L2 is used for looking out into the universe (JWST)

Ok, now I did look up the satellites in L1 and it sounds like the Deep Space Climate Observatory - designed to image the sunlit earth in 10 wavelengths.
I don’t think the moon would look that large in comparison to the Earth when photographed from deep space.

crab nebula

Ediot
Reaction score
I don’t think the moon would look that large in comparison to the Earth when photographed from deep space.
If the earth is a size of a basketball, the moon is the size of a tennis ball. The distance from earth to moon would be about 20 feet to scale. That means the moon is much closer to that L1 point in space and appears larger.

Quence

Gay man
Reaction score
If the earth is a size of a basketball, the moon is the size of a tennis ball. The distance from earth to moon would be about 20 feet to scale. That means the moon is much closer to that L1 point in space and appears larger.
The Earth-Sun L1 point is about 1.5 million kilometers from the Earth. That’s over 1 million kilometers further than the distance between Earth and the moon. From that distance it doesn’t seem like the moon would appear so large in a satellite’s camera.

Top Bottom