General Lee Replaced With Satanic Modernist Statue In New Orleans

.wil

Faggot Of The Year 2022
Reaction score
1658282004902.png

The design is inspired by the various cultures of African diaspora that mix and flourish in New Orleans. Mami Wata is a water deity shared by many African cultures, while the spoon shape is an important symbol of status in the Zulu culture.

Even the placement of the sculpture seeks to subvert the hierarchies established by the Lee monument. Unlike the monument, which was placed on a pedestal, Sentinel sits on the ground in front of the raised platform.

Naima J. Keith and Diana Nawi, the artistic directors of this 2021 Prospect New Orleans triennial, wrote in a joint statement to ARTnews that this placement had been carefully discussed by the team and the artist. “Ultimately, Simone felt, and we agreed, that because the original placement of the Robert E. Lee atop the pedestal was one of power and domination—the statue loomed over the city, symbolizing the tyranny of white supremacy—that her work should be closer to the level of the individual,” Keith and Nawi wrote. “Her work is monumental, but its placement at the base of the sculpture suggests the way in which it is meant to be in dialogue with the people of the city.”

The project comes as Leigh prepares for her pavilion at the Venice Biennale, where she is representing the U.S. Her U.S. Pavilion is among the most highly anticipated offerings at this year’s edition, which opens in April.

The Caduceus is a symbol of Hermes or Mercury in Greek and Roman mythology. Caduceus symbol is identified with thieves, merchants, and messengers, and Mercury is said to be a patron of thieves and outlaws, not a desirable protector of physicians.

Kleetus

【Come, Sweet Hour of Death】
Reaction score
I don't get why northerners be like "uhhh they broke apart the country" and then have the gall to still be racist. I mean I'm not even racist and I realize that logic doesn't make any fucking sense. perhaps its just another instance of baka being contrarian. might have to get the science team on this one for a more in depth analysis.

Last edited:

Keyboard

Ediot
Reaction score
View attachment 45512

The Caduceus is a symbol of Hermes or Mercury in Greek and Roman mythology. Caduceus symbol is identified with thieves, merchants, and messengers, and Mercury is said to be a patron of thieves and outlaws, not a desirable protector of physicians.
It's New Orleans, course they'll have a bunch of voodoo shit instead

Reaction score
of course spoons are sacred to africans lol
The spoon part legit is what gets me. Sure the woman part is abstract but it can be argued that Mami Wati has her iconography with the snake and then all you need is a head resembling an African woman to keep her from being confused for say, Eve. Sure she's a bit obscure compared to other figures but you'd just need a small plaque saying who she is. Boom, fun fact about African culture
Instead, the spoon just turns it all into an abstraction. Now you need to know who she is, what spoons signify in Zulu culture, and the context of the Robert E. Lee statue.
A small plaque would basically amount to "this is the statue that replaced the Confederate one and it has black people stuff."
You'd need a longer more TL;DR plaque that would explain so much context that makes whatever "dialogue" the lady who made this thing wants to have pointless.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
JPBS-7-49-g001.jpg

one snake is the Rod of Asclepius (left) which belonged to Aesculapius, the god of healing. 2 snakes (right) is the Caduceus and is associated with Mercury.
Mercury was a cool god too.
so, like, venus was bangin' mars but her husband was vulcan and he was sad abt it so he caught them while they was fukkin and tried to expose them to the other gods
so brought jove n mercury and a couple others in n was like "look at these two!" with his cuck outrage and mercury was like "i dunno bruh i wouldn't mind bein' caught in bed with venus, tbh" n vulcan seethed

also
"thieves and outlaws"
stealing from walmart and not snitching on those who steal from walmart is based

Reaction score
View attachment 45608
one snake is the Rod of Asclepius (left) which belonged to Aesculapius, the god of healing. 2 snakes (right) is the Caduceus and is associated with Mercury.
Mercury was a cool god too.
so, like, venus was bangin' mars but her husband was vulcan and he was sad abt it so he caught them while they was fukkin and tried to expose them to the other gods
so brought jove n mercury and a couple others in n was like "look at these two!" with his cuck outrage and mercury was like "i dunno bruh i wouldn't mind bein' caught in bed with venus, tbh" n vulcan seethed

also
"thieves and outlaws"
stealing from walmart and not snitching on those who steal from walmart is based
It should also be noted that while Hermes was just thieves, Mercury was commerce in general

Reaction score
Confederate gray uniforms did not want to destroy life as it was, while the dark blue of the Union regalia were ready to poison and liquidate planet Earth as they did after fake winning (cheating) in 1865. The North was the one who introduced smoke stacks to the world and literally turned it into the trash can it is today.

Top Bottom