Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
You get what you pay for with knives.
I disagree, up to a point.

When you buy a cheap knife from a formerly-great-but-now-sad brand, you get poopoo cause you are paying for the logo

There are cheap knives that absolutely are what you expect, like Mora, Opinel, Buck, Victorinox...

Also most Cold Steels, Bokers, Byrd, Kershaws and CRKTs

A thumb rule is: the more plain the knife looks, the higher possibilities of it being ok. The more "Tacticool", the worse.

.wil

Faggot Of The Year 2022
Reaction score
like Mora, Opinel, Buck, Victorinox...
These have all been engineered to get them to their price point. There are plenty of knockoffs to be had at half the price that will never be as good as the original.

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
These have all been engineered to get them to their price point. There are plenty of knockoffs to be had at half the price that will never be as good as the original.
Errr...yes. The good ones are honest and useful, at a reasonable price. U got it

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
So you get what you pay for
Yes, with the fair brands, you get what you pay for. You pay 20 bucks and get a decent knife.

With the currently unfair ones, like Gerber or S.O.G, you don't. You pay 30 bucks and get shit.

Yay! After going in circles for 5 posts, we have arrived at the same point I started: some brands give you a fair product, and some don't.

Refreshing, to waste so many letters to state the obvious... again.

.wil

Faggot Of The Year 2022
Reaction score
30 bucks is what I'd expect to pay for a Victorinox, Opinel, and maybe a Buck of decent quality.

Spend $30 on a Gerber or SOG and yes you will get shit.

You get what you pay for.

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
30 bucks is what I'd expect to pay for a Victorinox, Opinel, and maybe a Buck of decent quality.

Spend $30 on a Gerber or SOG and yes you will get shit.

You get what you pay for.
So you just admited that different brands have very different quality/price ratios... which is the exact opposite of the blank, general statement "You get what you pay for."

Your assburgers is in full swing today, isn't it? hahaha

Whatever, man

FukkenUsername

Dramacrat
Reaction score
You get what you pay for with knives. Gerber knives are Walmart tier and are only really good for tasks you can do around your trailer.
Yeah, but the only way to enjoy a knife is to buy a cheap ass shit knife you're not afraid to (ab)use, because if it breaks its just 5 bucks and you get a new one.

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Back to Alice, the vorpal knife proved to be as difficult to sharpen as expected. Or too easy, which is as bad.

The band grinder makes the edge wire almost instantaneously, and that always means the steel is too soft

Not even with waterstones I managed to set a real, working edge

I can more or less cut paper with it now, but the cut isn't clean, and I bet the edge isn't gonna last shit

pfft.jpg

And as anticipated, the calibrated files confirm the blade must be between 45 and 50 RHc... too soft for a knife

IMG_20211011_195838.jpg

So let's call it just half success :|

.wil

Faggot Of The Year 2022
Reaction score
So you just admited that different brands have very different quality/price ratios... which is the exact opposite of the blank, general statement "You get what you pay for."

Your assburgers is in full swing today, isn't it? hahaha

Whatever, man
you fail to understand the point

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Some asorted shit I found in an old folder, must have a fuckton more somewhere

A nice Kanetsune from Japan
tbE0uFp.jpg

One I did myself from a blank blade I bought

pb160038.jpg

Part of the work I did to turn an already passable chink carbon steel katana into something functional
dunl.jpg
antesw.jpg
despm.jpg

A sheath I made of fiberglass, nylon and epoxy for a Bussé I had...

61938862.jpg

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
I assume the first one is a trainer, hard to say if it's blunted or has an actual edge tho
I see it pretends to have an edge... I dunno, I don't like to train with fake blades that weights nothing, much better to buy a chinese copy of the benchmade for 10 bucks and kill the edge

I used to sell them, and always played with them a bit first in the shop, to see the play... until that time that one of them came with the blade mounted the wrong side, I didn't check first... and I did a total mess with my blood on the counter, got a pretty nice cut, lol.

Newfag
Reaction score
I see it pretends to have an edge... I dunno, I don't like to train with fake blades that weights nothing, much better to buy a chinese copy of the benchmade for 10 bucks and kill the edge

I used to sell them, and always played with them a bit first in the shop, to see the play... until that time that one of them came with the blade mounted the wrong side, I didn't check first... and I did a total mess with my blood on the counter, got a pretty nice cut, lol.
I prefer trainer for tricks involve good timing (especially throwing). Otherwise I'll end up scratch the handle or cut my wrist, both sucks.

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
I prefer trainer for tricks involve good timing (especially throwing). Otherwise I'll end up scratch the handle or cut my wrist, both sucks.
Yeah, problem is, for balisong more advanced tricks, weight is important.... if you practice with a light trainer like that one, when you get the real ones they can easily scape your non-acustomed grip...

Better to get one of these, imo

61ZpFVnHgKL._AC_SX466_.jpg

10-12 bucks, even in Amazon... full weight, stainless steel, big pivots... you can get good practice out of one of those for years...

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Waitwhat? Since when Boker (USA??) and Pro-Tech have joined?

man, I'm so out of touch with the trade...

nice folder, btw

j15m

Reaction score
Waitwhat? Since when Boker (USA??) and Pro-Tech have joined?

man, I'm so out of touch with the trade...

nice folder, btw
Burnley got them to collaborate on a limited edition deal on his design
Pro-Tech's auto snap quality + Boker quality construction

Boker has "expanded" to some good and bad areas.. USA is decent, Argentina not so much but the German ones still have the tree logo

A Fucking Box

Site Pwner
Reaction score
>go to knife shop with buds
>friend buys a thicc knife for something like 150 bucks (dont exactly remember) for what i assume to be bush/survival shit, choppin wood etc
>he loses it, starts bitching
>i tell him its in his bag 100 times, he claims he mustve dropped it
>buy him a new one cuz im a bro (the knife guy gave me a discount cuz hes cool)
>go home
>search his bag
>the old knife is there
>i call him a faggot retard
>he takes the old knife to the bar
>gets violently drunk, beats up a random woman
>loses old knife again
gonna post the knife if i see him again

Top Bottom