Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
I just got this in the mail, from AliExpress

IMG_20210812_135632.jpg

IMG_20210812_135641.jpg

It's a chinese chef knife, and comes quite sharp, as you can see

Being chinese, they are practical and allergic to nonsense... chefs there use only that knife for almost everything, and it costs less than 20€, put in my home
Of course, if it were japanese, it would cost 200€ and I'll need another dozen of differen shapes for every kind of food...

I'm pleasantly surprised with it, the steel is decent for cuttlery ( 5Cr15MoV ) the fit seems rock solid and even comes with unusual HQ details like a filed spine

j15m

Reaction score
I just got this in the mail, from AliExpress

View attachment 15682

View attachment 15683

It's a chinese chef knife, and comes quite sharp, as you can see

Being chinese, they are practical and allergic to nonsense... chefs there use only that knife for almost everything, and it costs less than 20€, put in my home
Of course, if it were japanese, it would cost 200€ and I'll need another dozen of differen shapes for every kind of food...

I'm pleasantly surprised with it, the steel is decent for cuttlery ( 5Cr15MoV ) the fit seems rock solid and even comes with unusual HQ details like a filed spine
That is sick... being a culinary wizard, I can appreciate it
My daily is a cheap af full tang chef knife, got my eye on a couple options.
I'm a fan of David C Anderson, the options are wild...

3v7A6Bj.jpg

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
That is sick... being a culinary wizard, I can appreciate it
My daily is a cheap af full tang chef knife, got my eye on a couple options.
I'm a fan of David C Anderson, the options are wild...

View attachment 15725
Dalstrongs are nice... tho I hate that kind of blade heel, makes both sharpening and some kinds of slicing a bit of a pain

I bought also some Arcos, from my country... cheap ones, around 15$, but made of one of my fav cuttlery steels, to play a bit with them re-shaping the handles and blades... I'll post pics and little rant later, after work :)

263300_3.png

Homicide

EDF1 was better.
Reaction score
Found this a couple years ago, don't remember when or where, I think it was laying around in the basement or something. Not really EDC per se, more of a utility knife.

It's branded Ozark Trail, if that means anything. Never bothered looking it up. Now I must clean it furiously because it is apparently dirty as shit.
knif.jpg

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Found this a couple years ago, don't remember when or where, I think it was laying around in the basement or something. Not really EDC per se, more of a utility knife.

It's branded Ozark Trail, if that means anything. Never bothered looking it up. Now I must clean it furiously because it is apparently dirty as shit.
View attachment 15756
That's chinese in-fact-not-that-crap... I have sold literally dozens of similar ones, they are a good buy for the price, which should be 8-12$

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
I bought also some Arcos, from my country... cheap ones, around 15$, but made of one of my fav cuttlery steels, to play a bit with them re-shaping the handles and blades... I'll post pics

View attachment 15734
Damit, I totally forgot

I haven't touched the blade yet, just reshaped the Rosewood handles to slim them a bit, take out the rough edges and wax them.

I dunno if you can see it in the pics

arcos2.jpg

Left ones are obviously "Before" and right ones "After"

chuj

a regular degenerate; lowest of the low
Reaction score
how do you guys shape your knifes? i was thinking about getting a lansky kit but idk if it's not a meme

FukkenUsername

Dramacrat
Reaction score
how do you guys shape your knifes? i was thinking about getting a lansky kit but idk if it's not a meme
I just use the small Fallkniven sharpener, its what i take with me when i go hiking so i thought it was just best to use the same one all the time to get used to it.

Anyways, for EDC i either have a mini griptilian, or a mini skeletool. In all honesty i could just as well just carry a SAC Cadet since i hardly ever need anything bigger.
I wish i lived in a way that justified carrying around all the knives and other rugged outdoorsy shit i've bought over the years.
But it seems like the only way you get to use a knife in a cool way is if you become an unhinged terrorist.

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Any sharpener only works for...well, sharpening

If you want to put a bevel or even just a new edge on a blade, 10x more so if it's already hardened, you need a powered tool, albeit a small one can do the trick. By hand, it's like the biggest pita, believe me

This one, for example, I bought the blank hardened blade, a chunk of olive wood, some fabric for the liners and a lenght of mosaic pin

pb160038.jpg

Then mounted everything, defined the bevels and put an edge on it with a Dremel, and then polished the blade a bit. Without it, it'd have taken 5 times longer...

Turned out reasonably well for the shitty tools I had at my disposal. A friend of mine did the sheat, I don't have patience for leather

Some pics of the process, in thumbnail to not clutter the thread

pb130028.jpgpb130029.jpgpb140031.jpgpb140033.jpgpb160043.jpgpb160009.jpg

Last edited:

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
@minty I bet you're gonna love this one

Talking about putting an edge in completely dull blades, I have another particularly geeky project to show u guize

I just mounted, of course without any manual cause "lol, I'm made in china, fuck u", this crap of a disc/minibelt sander (99€, it's shit but enough to let me play a bit... someday I'll buy or made a proper belt grinder, but that's a serious project...)

IMG_20211008_211247.jpg

...and now I'm gonna be able to, maybe, put an edge on this:

51MMXd+tisL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Anybody recognizes it? Anybody played the McGee's Alice series?

maxresdefault.jpg

I bought it cause it's a surprisingly beefy chunk of steel, the motherfucker weights like 1 kilo, if not more, a lot of room to play... but of course it comes completely dull. And I mean like 1.5 mm thick at the thinnest point, you can almost hammer a nail with the "edge", lol

I already started the grind, gonna take a while, even with the belt... if I manage to put a real edge on that beast, I'll post the results

IMG_20211008_211341.jpg

NEEEEERRRDDDD!!

hahaha

chuj

a regular degenerate; lowest of the low
Reaction score

Talking about putting an edge in completely dull blades, I have another particularly geeky project to show u guize

I just mounted, of course without any manual cause "lol, I'm made in china, fuck u", this crap of a disc/minibelt sander (99€, it's shit but enough to let me play a bit... someday I'll buy or made a proper belt grinder, but that's a serious project...)

View attachment 17928

View attachment 17929

View attachment 17930

I bought it cause it's a surprisingly beefy chunk of steel, the motherfucker weights like 1 kilo, if not more, a lot of room to play... but of course it comes completely dull. And I mean like 1.5 mm thick at the thinnest point, you can almost hammer a nail with the "edge", lol

I already started the grind, gonna take a while, even with the belt... if I manage to put a real edge on that beast, I'll post the results

View attachment 17931

NEEEEERRRDDDD!!

hahaha
i had meat cleavers lighter than this, still 10/10 would definitively chop cabbage with that

If you want to put a bevel or even just a new edge on a blade, 10x more so if it's already hardened, you need a powered tool, albeit a small one can do the trick. By hand, it's like the biggest pita, believe me

i found something that looks like this left to me by ancestors, requires two people to operate but im thinking about using little power of slavic engineering and turning it into something electric. probably will strip an old angle grinder or something

SK2.0

+size butt model
Reaction score
Careful with that construction @chuj I don´t think that lower axle was meant for more than maybe 60rpm.
Maybe try a motor from an old well pump or something similarly slow.

FukkenUsername

Dramacrat
Reaction score

View attachment 17928

View attachment 17929

View attachment 17930

View attachment 17931

NEEEEERRRDDDD!!

hahaha
Another knife that comes more or less completely dull is the Gerber mk II.. Which surprised me because it is marketed as the number 1 most objectively designed to fucking murder anyone knife.
It also had the most shitty shit sheath i've ever seen.

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
probably will strip an old angle grinder or something
Yeah, as SK2 points out, I don't think the torque nor the speed of an angle grinder is gonna work for that... also difficult to pull out, the axis is really short etc

I'd try with this

81W4trHtlyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Less than 40 bucks and it's designed precisely for that, with 1/4 of the r.p.m of the tipical angle grinder (still too fast, but better)

Problem is... if you buy that, why not use the stone it already has?

:crackhead:

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Another knife that comes more or less completely dull is the Gerber mk II.. Which surprised me because it is marketed as the number 1 most objectively designed to fucking murder anyone knife.
It also had the most shitty shit sheath i've ever seen.
Gerber went to complete shit around 15-20 years ago, same as S.O.G... nowadays it's the joke of the shadow of its former glory

The MK2 ("proudly made in Amurrica" pfft) now it's made of 420HC steel... so basically the same as the toy I just posted above, lmao

One has to admire their nerve, tho

78cb8fb0-c25a-4b8e-ac90-7ad9e6d5670f._SR970,300_.jpg

bwhahahahaha

But 4.7 stars out of 5 in the Amazon review :D

Amazon reviews are the most comical of them all... any attemp at giving a low score on a known brand is meet with several emails explaining to you how they found an excuse to not show your opinion... I used to collect them until I got bored

FukkenUsername

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Gerber went to complete shit around 15-20 years ago, same as S.O.G... nowadays it's the joke of the shadow of its former glory

The MK2 ("proudly made in Amurrica" pfft) now it's made of 420HC steel... so basically the same as the toy I just posted above, lmao

One has to admire their nerve, tho

View attachment 17966

bwhahahahaha

But 4.7 stars out of 5 in the Amazon review :D

Amazon reviews are the most comical of them all... any attemp at giving a low score on a known brand is meet with several emails explaining to you how they found an excuse to not show your opinion... I used to collect them until I got bored
Yeah, i also have one of the gimmicky S.O.G knives because it looked absolutely 11/10 operator-tier, which i thought was really cool when i was a teenager. I think its the SEALpup or some shit. Its such a fucking cringey knife i dont even take it in the woods with me incase someone sees me with it.

As for the Gerbers, i got one of their multitools at one point and just fucking hated every god damn part of it. I dont even understand how its possible for a company that is in competition with Leatherman to make such complete bullshit.

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Yeah, i also have one of the gimmicky S.O.G knives because it looked absolutely 11/10 operator-tier, which i thought was really cool when i was a teenager. I think its the SEALpup or some shit. Its such a fucking cringey knife i dont even take it in the woods with me incase someone sees me with it.

As for the Gerbers, i got one of their multitools at one point and just fucking hated every god damn part of it. I dont even understand how its possible for a company that is in competition with Leatherman to make such complete bullshit.
Ey, I had this one, until some little bitch stole it... so I get the cringe factor, believe me... at least I had the excuse that I was distributor for Spain of S&W cuttlery

41ZPMlY8WEL._AC_.jpg

At least it was made of 440c/G10 and could witstand quite the abuse... the spine was 6mm thick, lol

Gerber isn't a real competition form Leatherman, except for desktop warriors. Gerber is crap and Leatherman... well, my key-ring has been a Leatherman Squirt S4 for the last... maybe 10 years?

The same S4 (the scissors one) For 10 years of daily use... that's some quality there

navaja-leatherman-s4.jpg

.wil

Faggot Of The Year 2022
Reaction score
You get what you pay for with knives. Gerber knives are Walmart tier and are only really good for tasks you can do around your trailer.

Top Bottom