based... nigel farage?

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
GCw54MnXoAA7EAw.jpg

A week before the Brexit vote on 23 June 2016, a reporter from an Irish radio station caught up with Nigel Farage on the campaign trail. He asked the Ukip leader if Britain’s departure from the EU would have any implications for the island of Ireland.

“Don’t worry, we’ll still buy your Guinness,” replied Farage, which chimed with the leave side’s broader dismissal of the consequences for the Good Friday agreement arising from the vote.

As it turned out, Brexit had a profound impact on Ireland – not least that it put the constitutional question firmly on the table. Before the Brexit referendum, very few people expected a border poll on Irish unity to take place within the following 25 to 50 years. Northern Ireland was settling into peaceful coexistence. Once implacable foes, the DUP and Sinn Féin ruled together in a power-sharing administration. But everything changed the day after the result was called: Martin McGuinness, the Sinn Féin deputy first minister of Northern Ireland, called for a border poll. For the first time in living memory, the main political parties in Dublin began addressing the issue of Irish unity.
The genius of the Good Friday agreement is that it smoothed over grievances that had plunged Northern Ireland into decades of bloody conflict. People could choose to be British, Irish, Northern Irish, European, or all of these. What’s more, the border between the six counties of Northern Ireland with the 26-county southern state – a source of deep antagonism for many in the nationalist community – had been made invisible through the UK and Ireland’s common membership of the EU.
Brexit sundered the legislative underpinning of the historic 1998 peace accord. People were once again forced to choose between being British or Irish as the UK’s exit from the bloc undermined Northern Ireland’s “shared space” that enabled people to have fluid identities.

More importantly, however, Brexit tested Northern Ireland’s position within the union, perhaps more than any other event over the past century. Hardline Brexiters wanted a complete exit from the EU, including leaving the customs union and single market. The EU insisted that the UK honour its obligation to maintain a seamless border between the north and south of Ireland as part of the peace accord. The two positions were irreconcilable.

To break the impasse, the Irish government proposed putting the border down the Irish Sea, which prompted a furious backlash from unionists. They said that they would never accept any border that put Northern Ireland on a different constitutional footing from the rest of the UK. They were given reassurance in 2019 when, during his campaign to become prime minister, Boris Johnson gave a solemn pledge to unionists that he would never accept a border down the Irish Sea. In October 2019, he signed a deal that put a customs border down the Irish Sea. Even though Johnson had no intention of honouring this legally binding agreement, it was a profound jolt to unionism.
Opinion polls show that the majority of people in the Republic of Ireland want a border poll within five years and will vote for a united Ireland, with caveats. People in Northern Ireland want a border poll over a 10-year timeframe but the majority want to stay in the union. In reality, it is impossible to gauge the appetite for unification among people on both sides of the border until they know what a “new” Ireland would look like. Is it a reversal of the current arrangement whereby the devolved Stormont administration could continue in a federal Ireland, with unionists free to maintain their British citizenship? Would a united Ireland have a new flag? A new constitution? A new national anthem? These are extremely complex issues, not least for people in the republic who cherish these symbols and are reluctant to give them up.

If there is to be a referendum, there needs to be extensive dialogue between nationalist and unionist communities in Northern Ireland and the south. The Dublin government is wary about planning for unification in case it further destabilises an already fragile political backdrop in Northern Ireland. Meanwhile, the main unionist political parties refuse to engage in any talks about a united Ireland, although they privately acknowledge that a border poll is coming. Just as republicans never accepted British rule in Northern Ireland, hardline unionists and loyalists will never accept a united Ireland.
Ultimately, a border poll will be decided by the growing middle ground in Northern Ireland – moderate unionists and nationalists and those who identify as neither. They will want reassurance over identity and rights in any new dispensation, but by far the biggest factor that will sway their votes is economics.
This is the biggest challenge facing advocates for a united Ireland. People in the republic will not vote for unification if it means paying more taxes. People in Northern Ireland will not vote to make themselves poorer. The UK government transfers about £10bn every year to plug Northern Ireland’s fiscal deficit. Not only would Dublin have to guarantee this annual subvention, it would have to show that Northern Ireland could prosper after unification.

Again, Brexit could play a role. Ireland’s economy is booming thanks in part to investment that would have otherwise gone to the UK before its departure from the EU. The UK economy has been suffering since the 2016 vote. Ironically, Brexiters such as Farage have done more for Irish unity than the countless Irish republicans who have made blood sacrifices in the name of freedom over the past few centuries.
what do you mean "londonderry," anglo?

chuj

a regular degenerate; lowest of the low
Reaction score
View attachment 90753

I was wondering what Dankula was doing on the left but then I remembered he was also looking to become an elected official - that's a fatal mix a bunch of jokers and a bunch of brokers
he tried to run as independent couple years back but no success either and since learned his lesson i think
i like dankula he's the only alt-right youtube guy who's not completely cringe

chuj

a regular degenerate; lowest of the low
Reaction score
Chris Dangerfield is not cringe also but he's also possibly a sex offender because he visits Thailand a lot and admits to having sex with prostitutes in Thailand I guess that by design though means
And the Internet is cringe use of the Internet is cringe
No I take it back and I didn't even bother to look at the rest of the thread and realise that a lit of the opinions that he holds are some of the simplest and easiest to defend anyway and he contradicts himself a lot by saying that people should emigrate to a multicultural society if they want one so badly while the UK is now multicultural and he also hates the UK and wants to go to America - or Canada that's the real hotbed for Scottish tourists I think
I'm not political but I listen to his read of the news alot because I'm too stupid to read
a lot of internet right wingers love east asia for some reason, there was a time when anglin of dailystormer fame converted to islam and went to the philippines because he wanted to buy two wives at some muslim village
or our own mikemikev going to china so he can be around little asian boys
if you go to rice country it's always sus

Top Bottom