Buddhism

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
I would like to introduce y'all to Buddhism. The basic idea is that by letting go you can achieve happiness. How does that work? Without clinging to other situations, given time (like withdrawing from drugs) you will feel OK with your current situation. If you feel OK no matter what, nothing can harm or scare or bother you. However, it is necessary to make a strong effort for 3-5 years just to get tired so you can *really* relax... if you don't make the effort, your let-go will be half-hearted. After the effort, the next stage is to accept everything by saying something like "embrace all things..." no matter how horrible. In the final stage, it doesn't matter what you do or don't do, because non-desire means nothing is good and nothing is bad. If you see something as good, you desire it, and if you see something as bad, you fear it. If nothing is good and nothing is bad, there is nothing to fear or desire, so you can be happy no matter what. Lao Tzu (who is like Buddha, but from China) said "because she doesn't cling to comforts, problems are no problem for her." This is Buddhism in a nutshell. If you really want to learn Buddhism, listen to Osho on oshoworld.com.

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
Well, it could be argued to be a bit gay, because they say "take one step toward Buddha, and Buddha takes a thousand steps." This means *any* Buddha, not just Siddhartha (the name of the one originally called "Buddha.")

But it's different from stoicism, because stoicism means to tolerate unpleasant conditions. Buddhism means that, through non-desire, non-seeking, non-rejection, we can experience ultimate and perfect happiness here-now. It can be instant, if you accept everything right away, or it can (and usually does) take time. But one Zen master, Joshu, said that "if you practice Zen for 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, you will certainly become a Buddha. If this fails, you may cut off my head and use it as a ladle for scooping up urine."

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
It's not untrue, West... if you cannot achieve happiness, what is the point of Buddhism?

The key is that it's a non-attainment... i.e. without attaining it you attain it... paradox. It means, when there is no striving to attain it, it is attained...

Like the Chinese finger trap. Once you give up, your fingers are free. Or like the koan (unsolvable puzzle) of the goose in the bottle. If you raise a goose in a bottle, how can you get it out without breaking the bottle or killing the goose? The answer is the goose is out. So everything is already achieved.

Last edited:

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Buddhism is just natural anti-depressants... in other words it's purposed disassociative identity disorder.

It's not a very healthy way to live.

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
I don't see how it's dissociative identity disorder when it's integrity. By not fighting with yourself (relaxing) all your parts achieve harmony. That's the opposite of dissociative identity disorder. And what's unhealthy about being at ease in your own life, unafraid and satisfied? It's like the ultimate rehab... beyond antidepressants. If there was a pill that would make you lack nothing, it would be Buddhism.

Reaction score
It's not untrue, West... if you cannot achieve happiness, what is the point of Buddhism?

The key is that it's a non-attainment... i.e. without attaining it you attain it... paradox. It means, when there is no striving to attain it, it is attained...

Like the Chinese finger trap. Once you give up, your fingers are free. Or like the koan (unsolvable puzzle) of the goose in the bottle. If you raise a goose in a bottle, how can you get it out without breaking the bottle or killing the goose? The answer is the goose is out. So everything is already achieved.
So if I throw all my things away and live in the sewer (stop trying to attain happiness) I will become happy? That seems like a pretty incongruous argument. I think I will stick with my Absurdism and Atheism.

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
I don't see how it's dissociative identity disorder when it's integrity. By not fighting with yourself (relaxing) all your parts achieve harmony. That's the opposite of dissociative identity disorder. And what's unhealthy about being at ease in your own life, unafraid and satisfied? It's like the ultimate rehab... beyond antidepressants. If there was a pill that would make you lack nothing, it would be Buddhism.
You can lack nothing by striving for nothing. Lowering your expectations to zero is not a way of living it's a way of running away from yourself.

Reaction score
Being completely satisfied is retarded. Greed is the way of all the true chads and chadettes

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
Greed won't satisfy you, because no matter what you get, you get used to it and then want more. The key to happiness is being happy *in spite* of what you have or don't have. The only way to satisfaction is to be satisfied with what you have, not dissatisfied because of what you don't have.

You don't have to deliberately make your life worse or deprive yourself, just give up making your life better, and slowly you will become satisfied with your life. For example, by allowing yourself to experience boredom, the boredom goes away, because you get re-sensitized to fun. If you avoid the boredom, it remains.

BiteySnek, what is wrong with being happy with zero? If you're happy, that's what counts. What is more important, having things or being happy?

Reaction score
Greed won't satisfy you, because no matter what you get, you get used to it and then want more. The key to happiness is being happy *in spite* of what you have or don't have. The only way to satisfaction is to be satisfied with what you have, not dissatisfied because of what you don't have.
I never said Greed is the key to satisfaction, I mean that expecting nothing and chasing nothing isn't happiness, it's just Sloth.

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Right, that's called life. It does satisfy... when effort is applied. Bhuddists are just lazy assholes. They don't want to put effort into happiness, they just want.

It's instant gratification at the lowest common denominator. That's not living. Living requires effort. You have a metric in your brain for "work vs reward" and when you hit your particular apex... you can achieve the most natural state of absolute high.

Reaction score
Right, that's called life. It does satisfy... when effort is applied. Bhuddists are just lazy assholes. They don't want to put effort into happiness, they just want.

It's instant gratification at the lowest common denominator. That's not living. Living requires effort. You have a metric in your brain for "work vs reward" and when you hit your particular apex... you can achieve the most natural state of absolute high.
yeah what he said

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
Buddhism and sloth are the same. The ordinary man is always trying to solve problems, yet there are always many more problems to be solved. The master never solves problems, yet he leaves no problem unsolved.

I edited my other post, if you care to check.

Reaction score
Buddhism and sloth are the same. The ordinary man is always trying to solve problems, yet there are always many more problems to be solved. The master never solves problems, yet he leaves no problem unsolved.

I edited my other post, if you care to check.
Sloth is literally the worst sin that you can indulge in

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
Buddhism is the only way to get a natural high. One Zen poet wrote: "You only live twice: once when you are born, then again when you look death in the face." If you want to be really, permanently and totally high, Zen is the only way. Because you go through withdrawal from all the things that give you temporary highs, like food, drugs, video games, etc...after a person goes through withdrawal they feel higher naturally. And what is wrong with sloth? If life brings you everything you want and need automatically, why should you work for it?

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Buddhism is the only way to get a natural high. One Zen poet wrote: "You only live twice: once when you are born, then again when you look death in the face." If you want to be really, permanently and totally high, Zen is the only way. Because you go through withdrawal from all the things that give you temporary highs, like food, drugs, video games, etc...after a person goes through withdrawal they feel higher naturally. And what is wrong with sloth? If life brings you everything you want and need automatically, why should you work for it?
There are lots of ways to get all sorts of natural highs. You really are an uneducated idiot.

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
I mean getting high on life, which by definition is not a "way to get a natural high," because then you wouldn't be high on *life,* you would be high on whatever caused your high. Permanent high on life cannot have any cause other than life itself, thus it never ends. If your high has a cause, it'll be followed by pain, like a hangover. Anything that causes pleasure also causes pain, since pain/pleasure is a cycle (these opposites create each other like high and low, before and after.)

1337coomer

Ediot
Reaction score
I would like to introduce y'all to Buddhism.
No more!
The crap rolls out your mouth again
Haven't changed, your brain is still gelatine
Little whispers circle around your head
Why don't you worry about yourself instead?

Who are you? Where ya been? Where ya from?
Gossip is burning on the tip of your tongue
You lie so much, you believe yourself
Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

Holier than thou
You are
Holier than thou
You are
You know not

Before you judge me, take a look at you
Can't you find something better to do?
Point the finger, slow to understand
Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

It's not who you are, it's who you know
Others lives are the basis of your own
Burn your bridges, and built them back with wealth
Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

Holier than thou
You are
Holier than thou
You are
You know not

Holier than thou
You are
Holier than thou
You are
You know not

Not!

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
Being completely satisfied is retarded.
Being happy is retarded? Being fearless is retarded? Being at ease is retarded? One master said, reach for the rope of life. And what is that? Giving up your will. If you could leave your willfulness, you would see how you've been torturing your soul.

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
I mean getting high on life, which by definition is not a "way to get a natural high," because then you wouldn't be high on *life,* you would be high on whatever caused your high. Permanent high on life cannot have any cause other than life itself, thus it never ends. If your high has a cause, it'll be followed by pain, like a hangover. Anything that causes pleasure also causes pain, since pain/pleasure is a cycle (these opposites create each other like high and low, before and after.)
There are LOTS of ways to get high on life. Ride a roller coaster, read an engaging book, build something, create something, learn something, experience something... anything! Shit dude, get tha'fuck outside and go blow the stink off yourself every now and again!

The feel of the soil and grass between your toes, every shade of breeze blowing over your body, every sunset burning a masterpiece into the sky, every smell, every action, every idea unimaginable... there is so much more than you bother to imagine. You set your expectations to garbage, likely because you have a garbage self-esteem, likely because you're Buddhist.

That cult requires that you cull your self-esteem in favor of unflinching groupthink. It's the adult equivalent of being told to sit on your hands. Imagine the strictest parent imaginable, now imagine that's you, but to yourself... maybe just stop abusing yourself and be normal. Stop trying to be so extra about stupid shit. You don't impress people because no one is looking to be impressed.

troof

Newfag
Reaction score
There are LOTS of ways to get high on life. Ride a roller coaster, read an engaging book, build something, create something, learn something, experience something... anything! Shit dude, get tha'fuck outside and go blow the stink off yourself every now and again!
Those are all ways to get high. High on life means you're automatically high without any way of getting high. Otherwise you're high because of something, not because of life itself.

Also Buddhism is all about individual freedom and rebellion. It is such a total freedom that nothing in existence can affect it, and one is completely free to do or not do whatever one likes.

I'm going to sleep y'all. I'll respond to posts in the morning.

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Those are all ways to get high. High on life means you're automatically high without any way of getting high. Otherwise you're high because of something, not because of life itself.

Also Buddhism is all about individual freedom and rebellion. It is such a total freedom that nothing in existence can affect it, and one is completely free to do or not do whatever one likes.

I'm going to sleep y'all. I'll respond to posts in the morning.
Sorry, but again, it all requires effort. There's a reason spoiled brats are spoiled. You can't enjoy anything with abject over satiation and you can't have satiation without some semblance of pain or obstacles...

Pretty simple stuff.

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
That's why one of the greatest highs is the "runner's high"... because it requires so much pain/effort.

Top Bottom