Candyman

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
Just watched the movie. On one hand, it feels like a Jordan Peele flick. On the other it's a surprisingly good tribute to the original. Would recommend 8/10.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
i haven't read too much about it... though i am very fond of the original, and the rule during filming wherein tony todd would get paid extra money for each time he got stung by a bee.

please tell me there are no cgi bees in this film

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
i haven't read too much about it... though i am very fond of the original, and the rule during filming wherein tony todd would get paid extra money for each time he got stung by a bee.

Can't tell what's cg and not; I'm not the best judge. Honestly the only thing that bothered me a bit was how much time they spent on racism. I mean those things were present in the original, but they were undertones in the narrative. In this sequel to the original, the social issues are a bit more in the forefront. It's not that bad really, but it's quite obvious.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
Can't tell what's cg and not; I'm not the best judge. Honestly the only thing that bothered me a bit was how much time they spent on racism. I mean those things were present in the original, but they were undertones in the narrative. In this sequel to the original, the social issues are a bit more in the forefront. It's not that bad really, but it's quite obvious.
i dunno that 'killing a man for loving a white woman' counts as an 'undertone' really. i always got the racial tension in the first movie, and don't think that'd bother me, as you previously stated it feels like a jordan peele movie and i'm rather fond of both get out and us.

i am just a big fan of practical effects and it really bothers me when i can tell something is cgi. stuff has to look... tangible

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
i dunno that 'killing a man for loving a white woman' counts as an 'undertone' really.
Nah, but it was really a sub-plot, a bit of an excuse

In the modern, it seems is central... the little I just have read is quite appalling:

1992’s Candyman isn’t exactly a good fit in today’s Black Lives Matter era of racial awakening. In the original Candyman, Black lives actually don’t particularly matter. The story is told through a persistent white lens, with Candyman as the ultimate Black boogeyman menacing a white woman, Helen (Virginia Madsen), as she investigates his urban legend and becomes his object of obsession.

Like many Black horror fans, I love the original Candyman because of Tony Todd and his unforgettable representation of power, but I flinch at the elements that haven’t aged well. That’s why I’m so excited about Nia DaCosta’s 2021 version of Candyman, which confronts issues of race through a Black lens instead, reclaiming the monster who was weaponized against his own people in the original. With a script co-written by DaCosta with Jordan Peele and Win Rosenfeld, Candyman has been modernized to preserve the terror without the same baggage of problematic racial tropes.

Uuuuffff

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
Nah, but it was really a sub-plot, a bit of an excuse

In the modern, it seems is central... the little I just have read is quite appalling:

1992’s Candyman isn’t exactly a good fit in today’s Black Lives Matter era of racial awakening. In the original Candyman, Black lives actually don’t particularly matter. The story is told through a persistent white lens, with Candyman as the ultimate Black boogeyman menacing a white woman, Helen (Virginia Madsen), as she investigates his urban legend and becomes his object of obsession.

Like many Black horror fans, I love the original Candyman because of Tony Todd and his unforgettable representation of power, but I flinch at the elements that haven’t aged well. That’s why I’m so excited about Nia DaCosta’s 2021 version of Candyman, which confronts issues of race through a Black lens instead, reclaiming the monster who was weaponized against his own people in the original. With a script co-written by DaCosta with Jordan Peele and Win Rosenfeld, Candyman has been modernized to preserve the terror without the same baggage of problematic racial tropes.

Uuuuffff
yeah, i know, but without looking up the movie it's one of the few things i remember from it despite it being ages since i'd seen it last. so it's a sub-plot that stuck...

eh, the rest of that doesn't really bother me much. jordan peele is a fan of horror and a smart writer. i mean, i'm like 90% sure he watched c.h.u.d. before writing the script for us. and at least this sounds like it's an attempt from a different angle instead of just remaking the same movie but more violent/rapey (last house on the left reboot, nightmare on elm street, friday the 13th...)
plenty of room in the horror genre for other perspectives. if rob zombie gets to remake halloween n throw his wife in everything this movie can exist too

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
yeah, i know, but without looking up the movie it's one of the few things i remember from it despite it being ages since i'd seen it last. so it's a sub-plot that stuck...

eh, the rest of that doesn't really bother me much. jordan peele is a fan of horror and a smart writer. i mean, i'm like 90% sure he watched c.h.u.d. before writing the script for us. and at least this sounds like it's an attempt from a different angle instead of just remaking the same movie but more violent/rapey (last house on the left reboot, nightmare on elm street, friday the 13th...)
plenty of room in the horror genre for other perspectives. if rob zombie gets to remake halloween n throw his wife in everything this movie can exist too
It's suppossedly more of a continuation than a remake... let's hope. In general, I despise remakes, more so of cult classics...

Btw, talking about flicks that doesn't drip "political correctness"... have u seen Alita? Liked it quite a bit, strange how unnoticed it went for its high budget... at least here, I basically heard nothing about it, found it two years later...

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
It's suppossedly more of a continuation than a remake... let's hope. In general, I despise remakes, more so of cult classics...

Btw, talking about flicks that doesn't drip "political correctness"... have u seen Alita? Liked it quite a bit, strange how unnoticed it went for its high budget... at least here, I basically heard nothing about it, found it two years later...
If you don't mind spoilers too much, remember the baby from the first movie?

Maggie

Dramacrat
Reaction score
If you don't mind spoilers too much, remember the baby from the first movie?
Don¡t worry, I read the resume of the plot... looks cheap to me, a neightbourhood (even less a nigger one) doesn't "agree" on forgetting its mythological gossips and blablabla... right from the word go it sounds convoluted to me

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
Don¡t worry, I read the resume of the plot... looks cheap to me, a neightbourhood (even less a nigger one) doesn't "agree" on forgetting its mythological gossips and blablabla... right from the word go it sounds convoluted to me
Yeah, but I thought that the idea of Candyman being an amalgamation of people was pretty cool.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score

i consider sequels done 20-30 years later to "re-introduce the audience" or whatever to be a form of reboot. movie studios heard people complaining about reboots, i think, and they were like "well if we re-make it with the same person in the lead we can call it a sequel" (*cough* halloween, again... although that john carpenter soundtrack was still fukken slammin') but it feels like a form of a reboot to me. a safe way for a studio to guarantee their money back by using an existing property people remember and love while still "doing something new" because instead of throwing nameless characters they have to imagine the same characters years down the road now.
i'll probably see this movie at some point, but turn it off after and say "hereditary was better" in a disappointed manner while pushing up my glasses smugly

haven't seen alita. does ends do a good job in it?

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
i consider sequels done 20-30 years later to "re-introduce the audience" or whatever to be a form of reboot. movie studios heard people complaining about reboots, i think, and they were like "well if we re-make it with the same person in the lead we can call it a sequel" (*cough* halloween, again... although that john carpenter soundtrack was still fukken slammin') but it feels like a form of a reboot to me. a safe way for a studio to guarantee their money back by using an existing property people remember and love while still "doing something new" because instead of throwing nameless characters they have to imagine the same characters years down the road now.
i'll probably see this movie at some point, but turn it off after and say "hereditary was better" in a disappointed manner while pushing up my glasses smugly

haven't seen alita. does ends do a good job in it?
Alita was a fun as hell movie. Very faithful to the first act of the manga.

I dunno about you, but Halloween 2017 was bangin'. I know for sure I'm gonna catch Halloween Kills this fall. If you decide to skip it, I'll let you know about it.

On Hereditary, I have to say it's another one of those movies like Ex Machina. Edgy movies with edgy endings. Didn't like either of them tbh.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
Alita was a fun as hell movie. Very faithful to the first act of the manga.

I dunno about you, but Halloween 2017 was bangin'. I know for sure I'm gonna catch Halloween Kills this fall. If you decide to skip it, I'll let you know about it.

On Hereditary, I have to say it's another one of those movies like Ex Machina. Edgy movies with edgy endings. Didn't like either of them tbh.
i haven't read the manga. i'll try n do that first before watching.
i liked and simultaneously didn't like the new halloween. i liked the original back to back halloween movies, the hospital setting in the second, and to see that disregarded all these years later for a "direct after the first movie sequel" is... odd?

as for hereditary, i dunno that it's "edgy," or at least it doesn't come off as edgy to me. in terms of "the devil" or "a cult" as the villain in movies, it was far more interesting to me that it wasn't generic satan worshippers, which (to me at least) do qualify as edgy. they picked an actual demon, kept the goetian sigil, and had a realistic looking summoning circle in the house in one scene. there's no pentagrams painted in blood and "satanic panic" vibes, and the movie relies on legitimate tenseness in scenes, as opposed to leaning heavily on jumpscares to cover for low effort writing.

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
i haven't read the manga. i'll try n do that first before watching.
i liked and simultaneously didn't like the new halloween. i liked the original back to back halloween movies, the hospital setting in the second, and to see that disregarded all these years later for a "direct after the first movie sequel" is... odd?

as for hereditary, i dunno that it's "edgy," or at least it doesn't come off as edgy to me. in terms of "the devil" or "a cult" as the villain in movies, it was far more interesting to me that it wasn't generic satan worshippers, which (to me at least) do qualify as edgy. they picked an actual demon, kept the goetian sigil, and had a realistic looking summoning circle in the house in one scene. there's no pentagrams painted in blood and "satanic panic" vibes, and the movie relies on legitimate tenseness in scenes, as opposed to leaning heavily on jumpscares to cover for low effort writing.
Nothing against Hereditary personally. I think it's a very well executed film with a lot of technical work put into it. Just not my cup of tea. It reminded me a lot of Ex Machina and the Pet Cemetery remake in that regard. Call me a sap, but I'm been craving for a recent horror film where everything more or less works out in the end. Not a perfect happy ending, mind you, but just one where everything isn't absolutely fucked by the end.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
one where everything isn't absolutely fucked by the end.
so, there's these two movies... they're indonesian. "may the devil take you" and "may the devil take you too." i haven't seen the first but i have seen the second. the second is good, and very "evil dead" in its camerawork and possession vibes. it has a p decent ending, not perfect happy but some people make it. highly recommend. if you can't find it n you live in the u.s. and wanna watch it, i can toss you a shudder login

Aroukar

Ancient Eulogist
Reaction score
so, there's these two movies... they're indonesian. "may the devil take you" and "may the devil take you too." i haven't seen the first but i have seen the second. the second is good, and very "evil dead" in its camerawork and possession vibes. it has a p decent ending, not perfect happy but some people make it. highly recommend. if you can't find it n you live in the u.s. and wanna watch it, i can toss you a shudder login
I'll see if I can find it on my own. Thanks minty.

dropdatwat

Leonardo dank Vinci
Reaction score

the insane thing is the value of a bee sting REALLY depends on how wealthy the person is. for a working class guy it's probably worth like 10 bucks but for tony todd? probably at least a grand :eek:

Top Bottom