Jack and GK's Plants and Prawns

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
I figured, as short as it will be, I'll post some of our prawns and plants since people were interested. I'll post the old stuff today and some newer stuff another day.

To start, here is the plants from last winter, I don't remember what most are specifically (I'll do so with the garden tour), but it is mostly different kinds of chillis. The boyfriend is a complete chillihead.

The first picture the first thing I grew myself (gardening never really interested me until he showed me the rapes, as Americans say), a jalapeno (or yah-pah-lee-noes as my father-in-law-to-be calls them).

The last two are plants the boyfriend set up at his work. He has another set on the rooftop. I'll see if I can grab a few pictures at another time.

IMG_20210105_162845.jpg

IMG_20210110_151252.jpg

IMG_20210110_161347 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20210110_162030.jpg

IMG_20210807_195942.jpg

Last edited:

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Now, a few old prawn pictures:

1. The various dried vegetables you can give them at feeding time, as a treat.

2. The first ones we got, Snow Whites and Lemon Yellows. You need to put new prawns in a bucket, with a drip feed of the aquarium water, to accumulate them. They are a lighter colour at that time as they lighten when stressed. That netting in there is put in the bag for them to hold on, to anchor themselves when being transported.

3 and 4. The differing colours are different grades. For example, the light bright yellow is a high grade Lemon Yellow, while the duller, more transparent one is low grade. Sometimes, though, I think lower grades are prettier than higher grades.

5, 6 and 7. The Bloody Marys, one of my picks. Sadly, they died out as they did not reproduce. R.I.P, wee fellas. I think it also had with them being neo-caridinas, and the tank not being good for them. The Lemon Yellows and Snow Whites are caridinas.

8, 9, and 10. The prawns at feeding time. They fight for food. Its funny to see them slap each other.

11. A 'berried' (the term for a pregnant female) Lemon Yellow.

12. This one is just cute.

IMG_20210812_1743010.jpg

IMG_20210812_142605.jpg

IMG_20210825_172144.jpg

IMG_20210904_203147.jpg

IMG_20210924_161159.jpg

IMG_20211001.jpg

IMG_20211001_190300.jpg

IMG_20211003_192648.jpg

IMG_20211013_225637.jpg

IMG_20211015_192223.jpg

IMG_20211023.jpg

Last edited:

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
nice setup. how finicky are they to raise?
Those ones are fairly easy, you just to keep the parametres (pH, gH and kH) consistent, keep them fed and change the water twice a month. The last thing is that you regularly need to remove plants to avoid build up and rotting.

Normally, you cannot use just tap water, but for some reason, these guys are fine with it.

We used to feed them just twice a week (you can get a generic daily feed, a weekly feed, and we also have one to help them shed their shells), but now its three times, two on each day. Its just these pressed tablets you drop in the water. The bowl is there in case they don't eat it all, so the food does not rot and taint the water.

They mainly eat the algae.

If you want to know more about parametres, then have a read:

Last edited:

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
There are also snails in there - they often come with the plants. You'll want to have snails, as they are the hoovers of the watery world.

Just be prepared for the population to explode (hermaphrodites are not fussy), and thin the herd every now and then. Stop them from stealing the prawns' food, too.

Last edited:

Raddy

Healer's Fist
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT IT IS FUCKING SHRIMP
salt water I'm guessing?
What kinda temp you run your tanks at?
Where tha whyte wimminz pR0nz?View attachment 41807
No idea but maybe find a bitch whose aerolas dont look like misshapen dinner plates?

Edit: just saw the link to info disregard my previous questions those are some awesome shrimps

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Again, it was snk
@JackTheCat what made you decide to raise shrimp?
Again it was another thing my boyfriend introduced me too.

I thought it was weird until I moved in and was assisting with the tank (it was fish and prawns back then, but the fish kept eating the prawn babies - or 'shrimplets').

After a couple of months I fell in love with the wee buggers so we decided to make a prawn-only tank (we give the fish to his father).

lulziez

Ediot
Reaction score

2. The first ones we got, Snow Whites and Lemon Yellows. You need to put new prawns in a bucket, with a drip feed of the aquarium water, to accumulate them. They are a lighter colour at that time as they lighten when stressed. That netting in there is put in the bag for them to hold on, to anchor themselves when being transported.

3 and 4. The differing colours are different grades. For example, the light bright yellow is a high grade Lemon Yellow, while the duller, more transparent one is low grade. Sometimes, though, I think lower grades are prettier than higher grades.

5, 6 and 7. The Bloody Marys, one of my picks. Sadly, they died out as they did not reproduce. R.I.P, wee fellas. I think it also had with them being neo-caridinas, and the tank not being good for them. The Lemon Yellows and Snow Whites are caridinas.

8, 9, and 10. The prawns at feeding time. They fight for food. Its funny to see them slap each other.

13. The aquarium itself, after being redecorated for prawns only (re-upload coming soon).

View attachment 41791

View attachment 41792

View attachment 41794

View attachment 41795

View attachment 41798

View attachment 41799

View attachment 41800

View attachment 41801

View attachment 41802

View attachment 41803

View attachment 41804
pls say they have names :0

.wil

Faggot Of The Year 2022
Reaction score
They seem to fear a lot for being in control of everything.
If you do things outside of their control they do not control you. You are independent. Just be prepared to be Waco'd if you get enough attention for it. I understand this is a hard concept to grasp for someone who is proud of airfrying bologna.

Lovecraft

14 cats in a trenchcoat
Reaction score
There are also snails in there - they often come with the plants. You'll want to have snails, as they are the hoovers of the watery world.

Just be prepared for the population to explode (hermaphrodites are not fussy), and thin the herd every now and then. Stop them from stealing the prawn's food, too.
*Puts on Ritt der Walküre, loads up a very tiny snail rifle with armour piercers*
"I'm here to crack shells and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum.."

Viril.Feline.Wyyzrd

smarter than moonrunes
Reaction score
If you do things outside of their control they do not control you. You are independent. Just be prepared to be Waco'd if you get enough attention for it.
I thought the waco guys were actually doing some pretty fucked up shit (gonna have to check on what they did specifically though).

I understand this is a hard concept to grasp for someone who is proud of airfrying bologna.
It's a better Idea then your giving it credit for.

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Fun Fact #1: Prawns are cannibals.

When one dies, the others will eat it.

They also eat shed shells for the nutrients.

You can't say they are wasteful.

Last edited:

.wil

Faggot Of The Year 2022
Reaction score
They seem to fear a lot for being in control of everything.
If you do things outside of their control they do not control you. You are independent. Just be prepared to be Waco'd if you get enough attention for it. I understand this is a hard concept to grasp for someone who is proud of airfrying bologna.

Viril.Feline.Wyyzrd

smarter than moonrunes
Reaction score
Is this accidental?

13. The aquarium itself, after being redecorated for prawns only (re-upload coming soon).

View attachment 41791

View attachment 41792

View attachment 41794

View attachment 41795

View attachment 41798

View attachment 41799

View attachment 41800

View attachment 41801

View attachment 41802

View attachment 41803

View attachment 41804
Tbh, I think this should be its own thread.

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Okay well it's a little weird to have prawn pets idk. Do you sell them?
Some have been sold, yes. In one case, a man paid over a hundred euros for our high grade whites/Snow Whites.

True, it is a bit of a niche hobby. By the way, they are 'pets' in the same way that one would consider an ant farm a 'pet'. In the sense that its nice to have the cute wee buggers and that they are interesting to watch, but do not compare to, say, a cat or a dog.

The main appeal is the various colours and patterns one cam acquire, admire and create. For example:

https://www.aquariofilia.net/forum/...tree.jpg.81e901dca49149e69a42a0517d21b7dc.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom