Linux Sucks. It’s terrible for most users.

1337coomer

Ediot
Reaction score
good suggestion, i didn't know that Linux would have OS that is "beginner friendly" like how you put it, but does it mean it's user friendly (not needing to use my brain to play video games on it) or would I still require some form of instruction manual to set up Linux Mint?
Take it for a spin in a virtual machine. download the ISO file from their website, install it virtually in your vm of choice and see what you think. Check out the software manager, you can install a lot of the programs you would need from there (including steam) and see if you like the experience overall.

If you do decide to install Mint, I would install it on an old computer or back up your current box before doing anything. this guide should help walk you through the setup process if you just want to get an idea of what to expect.

If you want to just keep using linux in a VM until you're more comfortable with it, use this site to learn how to use the command line. https://linuxjourney.com/
imho, linux is best learned by doing. using a vm allows you to jump in without the commitment to switching operating systems before you're ready to do so.

Quence

Gay man
Reaction score
Take it for a spin in a virtual machine. download the ISO file from their website, install it virtually in your vm of choice and see what you think. Check out the software manager, you can install a lot of the programs you would need from there (including steam) and see if you like the experience overall.

If you do decide to install Mint, I would install it on an old computer or back up your current box before doing anything. this guide should help walk you through the setup process if you just want to get an idea of what to expect.

If you want to just keep using linux in a VM until you're more comfortable with it, use this site to learn how to use the command line. https://linuxjourney.com/
imho, linux is best learned by doing. using a vm allows you to jump in without the commitment to switching operating systems before you're ready to do so.
See guys? Mint is simple and easy to install/use. You won’t be spending countless hours getting it to function properly and play nice with peripherals and the software you like to use.

1337coomer

Ediot
Reaction score
I'm only here to talk about how all the BSD's are actually superior and Linux is just a shitty low-effort clone of Windows. Everything the BSD community worked for, they fought for. Linux lusers just grabbed and slammered everything from the Windows or macOS world and poorly immitated it 16 different times creating a fractured broken ecosystem. BSDtards actually got together to make good documentation and well structured systems... I don't think I'd ever touch a Linux system again.

Linux is nothing more than a political message than an operating system. I'm not going to say macOS is much better but it was definitely better in the Mac OS X era. Still a faggot OS, unfortunately I have one that I use with some thing called OpenCore Legacy patcher that lets me run numacOS on an older macbook

Can't argue about documentation, BSD has every linux documentation btfo by a country mile. The problem I have with BSD at the moment is there is an even smaller community for BSD than there is for linux. As a result of that, finding quick and easy answers usually doesn't happen. instead, you really do have to use the man pages for a lot of relatively simple questions, which can be time consuming and tedious to look through.

Comparing linux to windows is a bit of a stretch if you mean windows 11/10, but comparing linux to Windows 7 era OS is fair. I'd argue that design was intentional. I just want an OS that works and is customizable and isn't actively spying on me, which Mint delivers on. BSD is certainly a more secure and interesting OS than any Linux OS I've seen but it's just a bit to much work for daily use at the moment.

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
Can't argue about documentation, BSD has every linux documentation btfo by a country mile. The problem I have with BSD at the moment is there is an even smaller community for BSD than there is for linux. As a result of that, finding quick and easy answers usually doesn't happen. instead, you really do have to use the man pages for a lot of relatively simple questions, which can be time consuming and tedious to look through.

Comparing linux to windows is a bit of a stretch if you mean windows 11/10, but comparing linux to Windows 7 era OS is fair. I'd argue that design was intentional. I just want an OS that works and is customizable and isn't actively spying on me, which Mint delivers on. BSD is certainly a more secure and interesting OS than any Linux OS I've seen but it's just a bit to much work for daily use at the moment.
I agree, it definitely struggles on the desktop area. OpenBSD and FreeBSD seem to be the most stable in those regards, but NetBSD can't stand a chance...

I'm a developer though, so my opinion lies there. I need that good documentation, at least I love to have it on the side, because I write a lot of C code and glibc documentation makes me want to stab myself. I'm not a huge gamer or really a multimedia artist. Everything multimedia wise that runs on Linux runs on *BSD. Steam and proton is WIP on FreeBSD right now, but it's going. Linux or Windows is definitely superior in those regards, so I'm not going to judge.

All OS's are shit and just use whatever one works for you instead of acting like a massive faggot about it. I essentially have to run all of them anyway because I need to test my own software or whatever on each OS to make sure it compiles well on each system.

I absolutely recommend OpenBSD on the server though. The Linux world for managing SSL Certificates, email servers is a huge fucking joke. OpenBSD comes with consistant and simple tools out-of-the-box for handling that stuff, making it quite viable in the server world with the added benefit of nice security.

FreeBSD also has ZFS (and Linux will always struggle to have ZFS due to licensing), which absolutely rapes any file system i've ever used beyond repair (I can't speak of BTRFS, although I heard its quite experimental, and apparently ZFS still has way more features). They're not just cheap, "better" Linux clones, it's actually superior in their own ways and I think that's why I've always been a huge fan.

1337coomer

Ediot
Reaction score
All OS's are shit and just use whatever one works for you instead of acting like a massive faggot about it. I essentially have to run all of them anyway because I need to test my own software or whatever on each OS to make sure it compiles well on each system.

I absolutely recommend OpenBSD on the server though. The Linux world for managing SSL Certificates, email servers is a huge fucking joke. OpenBSD comes with consistant and simple tools out-of-the-box for handling that stuff, making it quite viable in the server world with the added benefit of nice security.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Having used Windows, linux and MacOS both professionally and personally I can confidently say I've seen the same basic technical issues across all three of them. I suppose at the end of the day it really does just come down to a matter of personal preference and using the right tool for the job.

I'll definitely have to look into using OpenBSD in my next mail server project. I always a wanted to try self-hosting a web server. Are there any major pitfalls I should watch out for when using OpenBSD for self-hosting a mail server?

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
I always a wanted to try self-hosting a web server. Are there any major pitfalls I should watch out for when using OpenBSD for self-hosting a mail server?
None, really. It even handles spam with spamd. On larger servers, you might want to enable SMT which is disabled by default for security concerns if you have more than 2 cores. OpenBSD uses a consistent config file format for nearly every daemon built in. OpenBSD uses OpenHTTPD for their web server and it resembles the Apache config if anything. Bare in mind this is entirely out of the box. My current server runs quite literally 2 pieces of software externally, and that's Fossil VCS and Minetest. On Linux i'd usually install Nginx, Postfix, dovecot, Some shitty python SSL certificate management tools (certbot, which I HATE), 3 for maintaining Email keys... Not to mention that Debian ass-rapes the configuration files for every program by having its own weird customizations for each program provided. No good documentation for any of these programs besides Indian DigitalOcean tutorials designed for Ubuntu. OpenBSD has it's own tools right out of the box with clear examples and documentation. Took me minutes to get an HTTP server running.

Retarded_FAG

I am a pedophile
Reaction score
I'm only here to talk about how all the BSD's are actually superior and Linux is just a shitty low-effort clone of Windows. Everything the BSD community worked for, they fought for. Linux lusers just grabbed and slammered everything from the Windows or macOS world and poorly immitated it 16 different times creating a fractured broken ecosystem. BSDtards actually got together to make good documentation and well structured systems... I don't think I'd ever touch a Linux system again.

Linux is nothing more than a political message than an operating system. I'm not going to say macOS is much better but it was definitely better in the Mac OS X era. Still a faggot OS, unfortunately I have one that I use with some thing called OpenCore Legacy patcher that lets me run numacOS on an older macbook
BSD is just a copy/bootleg of unix with copied stuff from linux BSD is basically unix but just with a fancy costume also BSD isn't even designed for personal computers it's designed for Servers

Retarded_FAG

I am a pedophile
Reaction score
BSD itself started as an copy and paste of UNIX which AT&T (current owner of UNIX at the time) tried doing the same thing that Nintendo does to fan-content try and get rid of it though copyright

nekobit

Ediot
Reaction score
BSD is just a copy/bootleg of unix with copied stuff from linux BSD is basically unix but just with a fancy costume also BSD isn't even designed for personal computers it's designed for Servers
*BSD doesn't have a particular "audience" i.e. server vs desktop, although its used a lot more in servers... so is Linux kind of, so moot point. It doesn't just "copy stuff" from Linux, in fact a lot of tools Linux copied from the *BSD projects, except for most modern hardware drivers like GPU's and Wifi shit which the BSD projects tend to siphon on from Linux as most hardware manufacturers target Linux only. Nothing will ever be pure UNIX because UNIX was designed a long time ago and never advanced for newer devices and stuff. BSD4.4 was a variant of Unix while Linux was intended to be some Minix clone.

Funny enough, the BSD's woudl've won if it wasn't for the licensing scare. Even Linus himself said he would just be using a *BSD if it weren't for the convenience of the AT&T lawsuit and Linux would never exist to begin with. There's a reason he still uses GPLv2 license too, the FSF is a whole other monster.

Nowadays, Linux doesn't care to resemble the UNIX-like goals and it's up to the distributions and GNU shit to make it a real OS. You've probably heard of the Systemd drama or whatever, and it's mainly about how Systemd just wants to resemble Windows instead of Unix, and throws in a lot of its own tools for managing things. Considering nearly every Linux distro uses Systemd now, it's essentially a locked-in ecosystem. All the Systemd-less distros are basically memes btw, except maybe Slackware or something like that. Personally though, I don't care too much if you like Systemd or not, as for some people it literally just works (A stop job is running). It doesn't bother me, but I'm definitely more used to the traditional BSD way of init scripts, especially for servers.

BSD's are all designed as consistant, real operating systems and not just a kernel, which has the added benefit of consistant documentation, tools, packaging, and community. Linux mostly tries to be some UNIX-Windows mix with random GNU Shit adding stuff, while BSD mostly tries to remain as closely to a pure UNIX experience as possible.

Funny enough, macOS is closer to a UNIX-like experience than Linux even is, since the base partially resembles FreeBSD.

Last edited:

1337coomer

Ediot
Reaction score
somebody just tried to linuxpill me, tl;dr should I tell them to fuck off?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

anonasaurus13

Newfag
Reaction score
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
Honestly, thank you for the education. I've started to code monkey pretty hard on the html/java side and a mentor told me to use ARCH LINUX? to build my own OS, he warned me I'd hate myself

1337coomer

Ediot
Reaction score
Honestly, thank you for the education. I've started to code monkey pretty hard on the html/java side and a mentor told me to use ARCH LINUX? to build my own OS, he warned me I'd hate myself
There are a few things you need to master first before diving into the Arch Wiki. These pages are good starting points.

Last edited:
Reaction score

why thank you 1337coomer! very cool, not only did I find the experience useful, I also found that there's other distros that better suit my needs.

Retarded_FAG

I am a pedophile
Reaction score
I'm proud of you all EDF users who are Linux users and future EDF users who will become Linux users

Rigbone

Ediot
Reaction score
Yeah, for youuuuuuuu!!

Linux, there's abso fucking LUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH LINUX YOU FUCKTARD RETARD SUCKING DICKER WANTER!! GO SUCK A DICK OH WAIT TBE DICK DONT WANT YOU TO SUCK HIM BECAUSE HE HATES YOU YOUBDEGEN!!! WHYYYYYYYUYYYYYY
LINUX KS AK IT'S OK AND NOT BECDDD

IF YKUNDNDJIRN AJEOIFJEJ ISNSNA BAD THEJ. KGKTR SNJDDD ACJRLSLL HWLJFK BRO LIKE EJODKDNDK ISKS KSKSSIEUE KSKSJS OEOEJRNRIRIJRJRBRJRJRIRJTJRIRJEJE IDIOT IDK IF HK IT UN BODJDDNDBFJF

YOUR AN ABSOLUTE FAGGOT AND YOU NEED TO BE YEETED FROM THE EARTH AND THAT'S THAT!! THAT IS FUCKING THAG YKJ HESR ME YOU SPERG????????? YEAH YLJD A SPERG WJTH FUGGING DOWN SYNDROME YKH ACT ANDNLOOK LKKE A FUCKING IRL SOYJAK LIKE DIE NKW AND EAT A SHIT SUCK MY RACCOOBBSICK EKDJJDJSJWJSJSIDJDJDJDJDJJDJDJDJDJDJDHDJEJEJEJJEKEJEJDJDJJDHDHDHD

AT TBE END KF THE DAY, LINUX MOGGSSSSSSS WINDOWS CUS WINDOWS EIFKS DICK SND LACKS FESTIRD WHILE LINIX KEKDNSKSJEBDOENNNEIDJFJJR HADNDKEMDNDNKRDKDND F

RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHHH DIE NIGGER FAGGOT JEW YKJR A KIKE AND THAT WHAT!!!

UR A NIGGER JEW KIKE WHO USED 4CHAN B AND GOONS TO CP BECAUSE UR AN FOOL AND. AN RETARDED

THAT'S ALSO FACTS

YOUR A JEWGGER

ITS. ABLCK NIGGER AND JWW AT THE SAME RIMES TNET WHAT IT MEANS, STUPID NEOGGER

NEOGGERNISNANNEGGER BUR BETOST

MAN FUCK THAT'S NEOGGER

JEWGGER

FAGGOT GAY BBW

YOU, NEED HELL NOW

Retarded_FAG

I am a pedophile
Reaction score
Yeah, for youuuuuuuu!!

Linux, there's abso fucking LUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH LINUX YOU FUCKTARD RETARD SUCKING DICKER WANTER!! GO SUCK A DICK OH WAIT TBE DICK DONT WANT YOU TO SUCK HIM BECAUSE HE HATES YOU YOUBDEGEN!!! WHYYYYYYYUYYYYYY
LINUX KS AK IT'S OK AND NOT BECDDD

IF YKUNDNDJIRN AJEOIFJEJ ISNSNA BAD THEJ. KGKTR SNJDDD ACJRLSLL HWLJFK BRO LIKE EJODKDNDK ISKS KSKSSIEUE KSKSJS OEOEJRNRIRIJRJRBRJRJRIRJTJRIRJEJE IDIOT IDK IF HK IT UN BODJDDNDBFJF

YOUR AN ABSOLUTE FAGGOT AND YOU NEED TO BE YEETED FROM THE EARTH AND THAT'S THAT!! THAT IS FUCKING THAG YKJ HESR ME YOU SPERG????????? YEAH YLJD A SPERG WJTH FUGGING DOWN SYNDROME YKH ACT ANDNLOOK LKKE A FUCKING IRL SOYJAK LIKE DIE NKW AND EAT A SHIT SUCK MY RACCOOBBSICK EKDJJDJSJWJSJSIDJDJDJDJDJJDJDJDJDJDJDHDJEJEJEJJEKEJEJDJDJJDHDHDHD

AT TBE END KF THE DAY, LINUX MOGGSSSSSSS WINDOWS CUS WINDOWS EIFKS DICK SND LACKS FESTIRD WHILE LINIX KEKDNSKSJEBDOENNNEIDJFJJR HADNDKEMDNDNKRDKDND F

RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHHH DIE NIGGER FAGGOT JEW YKJR A KIKE AND THAT WHAT!!!

UR A NIGGER JEW KIKE WHO USED 4CHAN B AND GOONS TO CP BECAUSE UR AN FOOL AND. AN RETARDED

THAT'S ALSO FACTS

YOUR A JEWGGER

ITS. ABLCK NIGGER AND JWW AT THE SAME RIMES TNET WHAT IT MEANS, STUPID NEOGGER

NEOGGERNISNANNEGGER BUR BETOST

MAN FUCK THAT'S NEOGGER

JEWGGER

FAGGOT GAY BBW

YOU, NEED HELL NOW
what is this autistic retarded schizo fag windows fanboy word salad to defend their precious shitty windows

Retarded_FAG

I am a pedophile
Reaction score
thank you retarded_FAG! very cool.
no problem man! I'm a proud arch Linux user like how eijiah the collabvm admin (despite being extremely sensitive and not being able to handle criticism and being a lolcow) is also an proud arch Linux user

Reaction score
I agree, it definitely struggles on the desktop area. OpenBSD and FreeBSD seem to be the most stable in those regards, but NetBSD can't stand a chance...

I'm a developer though, so my opinion lies there. I need that good documentation, at least I love to have it on the side, because I write a lot of C code and glibc documentation makes me want to stab myself. I'm not a huge gamer or really a multimedia artist. Everything multimedia wise that runs on Linux runs on *BSD. Steam and proton is WIP on FreeBSD right now, but it's going. Linux or Windows is definitely superior in those regards, so I'm not going to judge.

FreeBSD also has ZFS (and Linux will always struggle to have ZFS due to licensing), which absolutely rapes any file system i've ever used beyond repair (I can't speak of BTRFS, although I heard its quite experimental, and apparently ZFS still has way more features). They're not just cheap, "better" Linux clones, it's actually superior in their own ways and I think that's why I've always been a huge fan.
can confirm the freebsd part, i dont have anything to do with the project either. i submitted one port iirc years ago (audio player) but thats it. my only complaint is how rare its usage is outside of servers (which is also rare), sarcasm obviously. its always the year of the freebsd desktop

Reaction score
Just make sure to install Debian or Ubuntu. I don't recommend MX or Mint Linux, because it's better to get the original and not have more middlemen for your packages.

Arch is for neckbeards and complicates things for the sake of it.
behead those who insult debian. i dont even use that os but would NEVER mock debian on principle

guyyouhate

Newfag
Reaction score
@Quence

how is it possible to be this fucking retarded? every time you say something its goes along the lines of this

"HURR DURR THE PERIPHERALS THE TINKERING OF DA PERIPHERALS PERIPHERALS HUR DUR HOURS AND HOURS HOLY SHIT"

who would have known that switching your operating system requires you to spend some time setting it up, especially if your an aspie macfag that shits bricks when they see a terminal

Top Bottom