Apple iPhone from 2007 sells for more than £145,000 ($190,372) at auction in US

Quence

Gay man
Reaction score
Would an Android phone EVER sell for even 1/4 that price? Not an effing chance! Android SUCKS!

A first generation 4GB model of the Apple iPhone from 2007 has sold for more than £145,000 at auction in the US.

The device was first released by the then Apple CEO Steve Jobs and retailed at a starting price of $499 (about £269 at the time), but was discontinued just two months later amid disappointing sales figures.

Consumers mostly favoured the 8GB model - launched at the same time with extra storage capacity but priced at around $100 more.

Described by LCG Auctions as "one of the most important and ubiquitous inventions of our lifetime", the auction of the "exceedingly rare" factory-sealed 4GB model was originally expected to raise up to around £75,000.

Its final sale price was $190,372.80 (£145,531.44) with the device attracting 28 bids.

The technology God-King Steve Jobs

LCG Auctions said the "elusive model" is "considered a Holy Grail amongst iPhone collectors" with its "extreme scarcity directly related to its limited production".

The auction firm's website also said: "Our offering is an exceedingly rare, factory sealed, first-release 4GB model in exceptional condition.

"Virtually flawless along the surface and edges, the factory seal is clean with correct seam details and tightness.

"Brand new, never activated.

"The phone's provenance is pristine as the consignor was part of the original engineering team at Apple when the iPhone first launched.

"Collectors and investors would be hard pressed to find a superior example.

"Relevance and rarity comprise a winning formula for this red-hot collectible."

https://news.sky.com/story/apple-ip...r-more-than-145-000-at-auction-in-us-12922467

portia

Ediot
Reaction score
I'm going through my old electronics and found a couple of cingular wireless flip phones. How much do you think I can get?

Likeicare

Always right
Reaction score
im still wondering what the point of such a purchase is

if you take it out of the box to "display" it, it probably looses all its value (?), and theres also no point opening it because an og iphone is literally unusable in 2023

SuperChongus

Dramacrat
Reaction score
iphones aren't special
unless you count special as for the retarded, like you

and clearly someone was retarded enough to spend that much on a brick

Steve

Dramacrat
Reaction score
im still wondering what the point of such a purchase is

if you take it out of the box to "display" it, it probably looses all its value (?), and theres also no point opening it because an og iphone is literally unusable in 2023
It's usually just an investment like how people will drop six figs on an old unopened copy of mario or pokemon. I don't think any of this shit has real value ATM, and there was actually a scandal I can't find for the life of me where an auction house bought their own stock (I think Mario 1) in the attempt to inflate value of these pieces of plastic. There is also a few cases of people just wanting a really expensive geek dick measuring tool but that's rare. Like a piece of tech history sealed mint I guess its desirable.

portia

Ediot
Reaction score
It's usually just an investment like how people will drop six figs on an old unopened copy of mario or pokemon. I don't think any of this shit has real value ATM, and there was actually a scandal I can't find for the life of me where an auction house bought their own stock (I think Mario 1) in the attempt to inflate value of these pieces of plastic. There is also a few cases of people just wanting a really expensive geek dick measuring tool but that's rare. Like a piece of tech history sealed mint I guess its desirable.
The value of any such thing is either:
1) Nostalgia (little to no real monetary value)
2) Investment (try to find the greater fool)

Fat

Asian Phones Suck Ass
Reaction score
Would an Android phone EVER sell for even 1/4 that price? Not an effing chance! Android SUCKS!

A first generation 4GB model of the Apple iPhone from 2007 has sold for more than £145,000 at auction in the US.

The device was first released by the then Apple CEO Steve Jobs and retailed at a starting price of $499 (about £269 at the time), but was discontinued just two months later amid disappointing sales figures.

Consumers mostly favoured the 8GB model - launched at the same time with extra storage capacity but priced at around $100 more.

Described by LCG Auctions as "one of the most important and ubiquitous inventions of our lifetime", the auction of the "exceedingly rare" factory-sealed 4GB model was originally expected to raise up to around £75,000.

Its final sale price was $190,372.80 (£145,531.44) with the device attracting 28 bids.

The technology God-King Steve Jobs

LCG Auctions said the "elusive model" is "considered a Holy Grail amongst iPhone collectors" with its "extreme scarcity directly related to its limited production".

The auction firm's website also said: "Our offering is an exceedingly rare, factory sealed, first-release 4GB model in exceptional condition.

"Virtually flawless along the surface and edges, the factory seal is clean with correct seam details and tightness.

"Brand new, never activated.

"The phone's provenance is pristine as the consignor was part of the original engineering team at Apple when the iPhone first launched.

"Collectors and investors would be hard pressed to find a superior example.

"Relevance and rarity comprise a winning formula for this red-hot collectible."

https://news.sky.com/story/apple-ip...r-more-than-145-000-at-auction-in-us-12922467
Iphones are gay, samsung galaxy is superior, fuck apple, android is king.

Likeicare

Always right
Reaction score
Getting all worked up over brands is very autistic

With any product, it makes you look quite stupid if you choose to buy something at a higher price, with less performance, in order to reduce compatibility with other products

Fat

Asian Phones Suck Ass
Reaction score
My family never uses apple, we in the android club

Fat

Asian Phones Suck Ass
Reaction score
Getting all worked up over brands is very autistic

With any product, it makes you look quite stupid if you choose to buy something at a higher price, with less performance, in order to reduce compatibility with other products
I have a Samsung, better than iphone, samsung is from korea, also, android is better than ios.

Top Bottom