TinFoilHatGuy

ปีศาจผิวขาว
Reaction score
lol, if that firepit is so "makeshift", I would challenge quences fat boomer ass to move those rocks "quickly and temporarily" ten yards to the north and back again... jus'sayin' it looks permanent enough to me without a Bobcat or other smol construction equiment. Also, I would like to commend Baka for turning all that earth, whether you used a rototiller or not, that is a lot of hard work.

Raddy

Healer's Fist
Reaction score
lol, if that firepit is so "makeshift", I would challenge quences fat boomer ass to move those rocks "quickly and temporarily" ten yards to the north and back again... jus'sayin' it looks permanent enough to me without a Bobcat or other smol construction equiment. Also, I would like to commend Baka for turning all that earth, whether you used a rototiller or not, that is a lot of hard work.
It actually looks like a pretty standard "brush burn pit" which isn't suppose to look nice its a spot where you burn excess yard waste in rural areas cuz you cleared all weeds n dead wood out which helps prevent actual wildfires during the dry seasons n is suppose to be utilitarian not aesthetically pleasing.

Burn on @Baka

Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
have you ever thought about raised beds

I think you said you live rural and everytime we've tried planting like that it just gets ate by critters
I have, it's just cost prohibitive because I'd need even more soil and I already spent like $400 on soil alone. Next year we are probably doing raised beds for strawberries though.
it was lol
It actually looks like a pretty standard "brush burn pit" which isn't suppose to look nice its a spot where you burn excess yard waste in rural areas cuz you cleared all weeds n dead wood out which helps prevent actual wildfires during the dry seasons n is suppose to be utilitarian not aesthetically pleasing.

Burn on @Baka
yeah. use it to burn cardboard and some of my moms hoard items too. I think it looks pretty nice

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
I have, it's just cost prohibitive because I'd need even more soil and I already spent like $400 on soil alone. Next year we are probably doing raised beds for strawberries though.
You're probably using too much soil in that case, at least half the bed should be filled with random organic material like logs or hay for fertilizer.

Quence

Gay man
Reaction score
EXCUSE me, TinFailFatGay, but I have moved a lot of earth, rocks, and other garden stuff when I lived with my parents back before college (just a few years ago.) Have you ever pulled up a tree stump by hand, Tubby? Probably not, but I have (with help from my siblings)!

lurk

Dramacrat
Reaction score
EXCUSE me, TinFailFatGay, but I have moved a lot of earth, rocks, and other garden stuff when I lived with my parents back before college (just a few years ago.) Have you ever pulled up a tree stump by hand, Tubby? Probably not, but I have (with help from my siblings)!
so now you're not just a dainty rootless world-traveling cosmopolitan supermodel that speaks 37 languages as fluently as google translate but you're also a down-to-earth, play-with-worms, rootin' tootin' daisy dukes?

im going to press X to doubt.

Lovecraft

14 cats in a trenchcoat
Reaction score
I'd like to hear that one.
Nothing special really.
Water pipes got replaced in the entire village, and the fucking place used to be littered with viking settlements back in the day, proto Vikings before that and who the fuck knows what else. So archeologists will descend on any dig go make a nuisance of themselves. Like, they kept ooooh-ing and aaaaah-ing over finding some fucking bones.
From sheep
In an area where sheep has been kept for thousands of years and are still kept.
Also they carefully preserved the pit by the old outhouse where great granddad would burn farm garbage, just in case he was secretly around in the bronze age.

Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
BIG update.

Sown and germinated: butternut squash, kaboch squash, cucumbers,green beans, watermelons
Bought and potted: a whole fucking bunch of tomatoes,shikou eggplants, inferno peppers, hungarian hot wax peppers, cubanelles.
greenbeans 1.jpggreenbeans 2.jpg
Homer Fike's yellow oxheart tomatoes
oxheart 2.jpgoxheart.jpg
the 20+ tomato plants overall
tomatoes 1.jpgtomatoes 2.jpg

Waermelons(I know you can't see jack shit but they just germinated)
watermelons.jpg

pepper fruited
peppers.jpg

stupice tomato
stupice 1.jpg

TinFoilHatGuy

ปีศาจผิวขาว
Reaction score
Do you think it had something to do with local atmospheric conditions, aka trainwreck airborne chemical attack?

Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
Do you think it had something to do with local atmospheric conditions, aka trainwreck airborne chemical attack?
No

idk why it reads like post battle causality rapport
It almost feels that way. Was really looking forward to the eggplants, peppers and other tomato varieties. And I'm stumped as to what could have caused it.

Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
Poor drainage? Incorrect soil? Too much/too little sun? Pesticides? Critters chewing on the roots? Not born with a green thumb?
I bought proper pots that I ensured drained correctly. I have used no pesticides in thr garden. Critters is a possibility but I don't know why it would only affect potted plants

Quence

Gay man
Reaction score
I bought proper pots that I ensured drained correctly. I have used no pesticides in thr garden. Critters is a possibility but I don't know why it would only affect potted plants
Perhaps the plants were meant to be transferred out of the pots and into the garden?

Call Me Tim

Boomer
Reaction score
All of my outdoor potted plants are doing terrible. Some have died. The ones that didn't die either have not grown at all in the last month or they've lost leaves and are barely hanging on
Potted outdoor plants need daily watering especially in the summer. The roots also have good drainage. What happens is the pot will heat up and dry out the soil faster, and the added heat will stress the plant. Same goes for raised bed gardens. If the roots are constantly in water due to poor drainage, they'll rot or develop a fungus which will kill the plant. For every gallon of earth add a couple of cups of sand, or some of those soil beads, don't know what they call them but usually they're just those tiny styrofoam balls that haven't been formed into shipping packaging.

Another solution is to use a very oversized pot for outdoor potted plants OR, semi shaded areas or place them where they are shielded by the hot afternoon sun but get full morning sun.

If you are planting annuals and they are mostly water, then if daily watering is not enough add some clay to the soil mix or some peat moss.

Good luck. Don't worry about it not working the first time, it's a trial and error process. Change things up and see what works.

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
For every gallon of earth add a couple of cups of sand, or some of those soil beads, don't know what they call them but usually they're just those tiny styrofoam balls that haven't been formed into shipping packaging.
perlite?
it's used for poor drainage in potted plants but it's not styrofoam. it's primarily volcanic glass that's mostly silicon dioxide.
adding styrofoam to potting soil is bad and a terrible idea

Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
Potted outdoor plants need daily watering especially in the summer. The roots also have good drainage. What happens is the pot will heat up and dry out the soil faster, and the added heat will stress the plant. Same goes for raised bed gardens. If the roots are constantly in water due to poor drainage, they'll rot or develop a fungus which will kill the plant. For every gallon of earth add a couple of cups of sand, or some of those soil beads, don't know what they call them but usually they're just those tiny styrofoam balls that haven't been formed into shipping packaging.

Another solution is to use a very oversized pot for outdoor potted plants OR, semi shaded areas or place them where they are shielded by the hot afternoon sun but get full morning sun.

If you are planting annuals and they are mostly water, then if daily watering is not enough add some clay to the soil mix or some peat moss.

Good luck. Don't worry about it not working the first time, it's a trial and error process. Change things up and see what works.
Ok. We've had a lot of rain here. I don't think watering is the issue. I'm trying fertilizer. My best guess. I'm just really stumped

Call Me Tim

Boomer
Reaction score
Ok. We've had a lot of rain here. I don't think watering is the issue. I'm trying fertilizer. My best guess. I'm just really stumped
depends on how much fertilizer you use and what kind. For general purpose use 10-10-10. But if they are acid loving plants, evergreens, azalais and that yellow flowering bush native to korea, Golden bell, you'll need acid fert.

What do the plants look like, first off what are the plants you are talking about, and what did they look like before they croaked? Were they yellow-green and wilty? black spots on the leaves and or stems? white powdery residue on the plant? infested with aphids? i'm trying to help you because you seem to take much joy in gardening, and it seems to relax you. and that's a good thing. Plus, you're doing this at your mom's house so it's nice that you're keeping an eye on her without keeping an eye on her.

And it just feels good to work the soil eh?

Top Bottom