Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
depends on how much fertilizer you use and what kind. For general purpose use 10-10-10. But if they are acid loving plants, evergreens, azalais and that yellow flowering bush native to korea, Golden bell, you'll need acid fert.

What do the plants look like, first off what are the plants you are talking about, and what did they look like before they croaked? Were they yellow-green and wilty? black spots on the leaves and or stems? white powdery residue on the plant? infested with aphids? i'm trying to help you because you seem to take much joy in gardening, and it seems to relax you. and that's a good thing. Plus, you're doing this at your mom's house so it's nice that you're keeping an eye on her without keeping an eye on her.

And it just feels good to work the soil eh?
It does feel good. But no. They had no notable defects. They just wilted and died

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
Ok. We've had a lot of rain here. I don't think watering is the issue. I'm trying fertilizer. My best guess. I'm just really stumped
what did you use for your potting soil? a problem with plain potting soil with no additives is it can become compacted by rain over time, leading to less ability for roots to deepen/shallow root systems and poor growth/plant death.
i would suggest mixing your potting soil with some perlite and vermiculite.
perlite prevents the soil from getting compacted and provides enough air pockets for root growth
vermiculite holds water and is better for nutrient and water retention than perlite so you need to fertilize and water less often
my mom had a ton of potted plants n both of these mixed with dirt made everything thrive.
also, depending on plant needs you can buy them enriched or unenriched. ex: my strawberries i repotted after buying have enriched perlite, but my venus fly traps i repotted would die with enriched peat and perlite so i had to buy unenriched organic

Call Me Tim

Boomer
Reaction score
It does feel good. But no. They had no notable defects. They just wilted and died
Yeah I would seriously consider what minty said. Again what's the type of plants you are potting?
It may be cheaper and less of a headache to dump everything the pot and start with fresh potting soil the next time.

And again sometimes you just get a bad batch of plants from the Homeless Despot/bLowes. It happens. Save the receipt, you can return them for replacements or a refund up to a year. If that's the case buy new ones of the same kind and return the dead ones in the pots. But don't be a retard about it and try to stuff a 8 year old dead tree into a sapling starter pot.

You have cats, and they may be peeing on the plants or other animals may be also. The added height lends to increasing the perimeter of the scent. I have one particular jasmine that was struggling because my beagle boys would all compete for that same bush, and it really suffered until the root system expanded enough to balance all that urea. Now it's the Terminator jasmine bush, the stalks are almost covered in bark, very vibrant plant, constantly blossoms, and sufferers very little from the couple of freezing months I have here. If that's the case you may need to just rinse off the leaves. Because animal urine dries into this residue and that can block the breathing pores on the underside of the leaves.

You may have grubs in that soil, so right after the plant dies, dump out the pot and see if you have any grubs living in the pot. Grubs tend to be whitish in color. Think really gross caterpillars.

Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
what did you use for your potting soil? a problem with plain potting soil with no additives is it can become compacted by rain over time, leading to less ability for roots to deepen/shallow root systems and poor growth/plant death.
i would suggest mixing your potting soil with some perlite and vermiculite.
perlite prevents the soil from getting compacted and provides enough air pockets for root growth
vermiculite holds water and is better for nutrient and water retention than perlite so you need to fertilize and water less often
my mom had a ton of potted plants n both of these mixed with dirt made everything thrive.
also, depending on plant needs you can buy them enriched or unenriched. ex: my strawberries i repotted after buying have enriched perlite, but my venus fly traps i repotted would die with enriched peat and perlite so i had to buy unenriched organic
Thanks. I have tomato plants from another grower and they are doing great. I think the problem could have been me putting pots over a tarp, but I don't know

BiteySnek

Dramacrat
Reaction score
Mmmm, backyard meat fruit. So easy to grow, so easy to maintain! Super tasty sustainability!

minty

bunny shaman
Reaction score
ive talked about him a ton. you must be senile
it can't comprehend since you don't heed pearl's advice

are you gonna try planting anything different next year?

ed: oregano and fennel are good herbs to feed chickens. if you're raising chickens now you may want to expand into a small herb garden for them to have a branch off of once in a while

Reaction score
Next year I'll have to post my rose gardens Baka. I'd love to plant Vegatables but my area has a lot of rabbits cuz I live close to wooded areas.
Also have a bad ass Red Shouldered Hawk too. You should see a hawk snatch a rabbit off the ground.
Not my pic. I've been trying to get a clear shot of him.

Red-shouldered_Hawk_(Buteo_lineatus)_-_Blue_Cypress_Lake,_Florida.jpg

Top Bottom