Jack and GK's Plants and Prawns

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
This is a 'breeder box' . Or 'fuckbox' or 'shag-a-roo' if you prefer.
You can get them in clear plastic, but the mesh one is cheaper and quieter (tiny area plus filter means obnoxious water noises).
You either put in the male with the females you want him to breed with, or, as done here, turn it into a bachelor pad by putting in the males you don't want breeding.

The babies are kept in there too, usually.

I'm a bit worried that the big one might be a female though
(my partner put them in there), but we'll have wait to see.
The reason why is because when a female sheds her shell, she produces a pheromone that makes the males horny. I'm sure you can inagine the result of horny males in a tiny space with a female.

The third picture is after I put food in it. Of course, they were exploring the thing before anything was in there (prawn brain = new thing, must touch), but with the food, everyone was interested.
That is a disadvantage of the mesh boxes, other prawns, fish or snails can get to the food.
Well, at least it's a way to enrich them by giving them more of a challenge (trying to get food to through the holes).

Now the remaining males will have no choice but to crossbreed.

IMG_20230203_012847.jpg

IMG_20230203_183224.jpg

IMG_20230203_183234.jpg

Last edited:

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
1. The wild strawberries are doing well.

2 and 3. The indoor tomatoes are finally getting some colour. I know they are few, but this is the first time trying to grow them indoors.

IMG-20230212-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230212-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230212-WA0004.jpg

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Random good news - there are no females in the breeder box. One of the prawns shedded earlier this morning and they just ate the shell (again, they do it for nutrients). No signs of gang rape at all. Now we just need to hope some crossbreeding happens.

One of the males is a bit greedy though. Last night I put a little piece of food in to top them off, and he insisted on keeping to himself, swimming away from the others each time they came too close (its not like he can go very far). I just thought he would tire himself out eventually, but when spotting the shell I also saw he was still holding it. Points for determination, I suppose...

Last edited:

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
this is like having a mini zoo in your own home. keep updating about the shrimp behavior this is pretty cool :)

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
The tomatoes are ripe now. It's an orange variety, but looks quite yellow in real life. Those hairs on the plant are called "trichomes". They help protect against pests and disease by secreting an oil on the stem, leaves and fruit. The ones on the fruit supposedly protect against fungus too. Washing them gets rid of the oil and the hairs.

I tried one and it had quite a firm texture, relatively juicy (not as much as the outside ones), with good sweetness and a little acidity. The description that came to mind, taste-wise, was a tomato-flavoured boiled sweet (hard candy), as stupid as that is.

IMG_20230218_160353.jpg

Last edited:

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
A raised garden bed. You use whst you have. The parter is a wee bit of a handyman. Good at sewing, too.

Don't know what to plant there yet, though.

IMG-20230305-WA0000_edit_5071335269614710.jpg

IMG-20230305-WA0002_edit_5071450190467296.jpg

IMG-20230305-WA0003_edit_5071463491592294.jpg

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Another random post - it's hard to see again, due to my shite camera, but this female is absolutely loaded with eggs.

Fingers crossed she delivers. All in all, about five females are berried and the new babies are growing, so it's good on that aspect.

We do need to buy some more prawns (especially more blues) to help repopulate, but they are either too expensive or out of stock at the moment. At least Minty seems to have a neverending supply of chickens...

IMG_20230412_222418.jpg

IMG_20230417_193246_edit_113598650754541.jpg

Viril.Feline.Wyyzrd

smarter than moonrunes
Reaction score
Another random post - it's hard to see again, due to my shite camera, but this female is absolutely loaded with eggs.

Fingers crossed she delivers. All in all, about five females are berried and the new babies are growing, so it's good on that aspect.

We do need to buy some more prawns (especially more blues) to help repopulate, but they are either too expensive or out of stock at the moment. At least Minty seems to have a neverending supply of chickens...

View attachment 73518

View attachment 73519
Oh shit, the prawns is still poppin.

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Just look at how the colour on the Japanese maple. It's only this bright in early bloom, so it will fade to a more dusky, dark red over the spring and summer.

IMG_20230428_174623.jpg

I have noticed something else about the prawns too. We have a few yellow adolescents, which seems to imply the Yellow King Kongs have had their change to breed too. Sadly, though, I found one of the bachelor boys dead, but managed to fish him out before the rest could turn him into dinner.

Last edited:

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
The indoor plants for this year.

When some are big and strong enough, they will go play with the big kids outside, especially the tomatos, aubergine, sweetcorn, lettece, and the hotter chillies.

The big kids are what you would expect - potatoes, carrots, onions, red onions, spring onions, apples, wild strawberries etc. We have basil again, and a rosemary bush and parley plant.

Indoor plants:

Romaine lettuce

Sweetcorn

Aubergine

Jalepeño tam

Aji delight

Habanada (Failed last year.)

Pink habanero

Trinidad perfume

Korean chili (Had no exact name.)

Joker red

Chocolate bell pepper

Malawi peppadew (Going to picke them.)

Carolina reaper peach

Seven pot white

Scotch bonnet yellow

Purple bell pepper

Marconi red

Green dragon tongue beans

Purple tiger chilli pepper

Brown tomato

Yellow cherry tomato

Gherkins (Another pickle.)

Scotch bonnet yellow

Madame Jeanette yellow

Trinidad habanero red

Cherry tomato red

Purple serrano

White cherry tomato

Soldaci pink beef tomato

Red and yellow sweet Marconi peppers

All other colours of bell peppers

Brazillian starfish

Long cayenne Peppers (Don't remember the exact name, might be Joe's Long Cayenne.)

Beaver dam chilli pepper

Carolina reaper red

Habanero magma red

Thai dragon red

IMG_20230427_194645.jpg

IMG_20230429_202251.jpg

IMG_20230429_202307.jpg

IMG_20230429_202212_edit_798674504657818.jpg

We also have another exclusive cameo of Boyfriend's Hand.

Last edited:

Quence

Gay man
Reaction score
The indoor plants for this year.

When some are big and strong enough, they will go play with the big kids outside, especially the tomatos and lettece.

Romain lettuce

Sweetcorn

Aubergine

Jallepeño tam

Aji Delight

Habanada

Pink habanero

Trinidad perfume

Korean chili (had no exact name)

Joker red

Chocolate bell pepper

Malawi peppadew (going to picke them.)

Carolina reaper peach

Seven pot white

Scotch bonnet tellow

Purple bell pepper

Marconi red

Green dragon tongue beans

Purple tiger chilli pepper

Brown tomato

Yellow cherry tomato

Gerkins

Scotch bonnet yellow

Madame Jeanette yellow

Trinidad habanero red

Cherry tomato red

Purple serrano

White cherry tomato

Soldaci pink

Beef tomato

Red and yellow sweet Marconi peppers

All other colors of bell peppers

Brazillian starfish

Long Cayenne Peppers (don't remember the exact name, might be Joe's Long Cayenne.)
Beaver dam chilli pepper

Carolina reaper red

Habanero magma red

Thai dragon red
How on God's Green Earth are you gonna get enough heat and sunlight to properly grow those spicy peppers?

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
Yah, but those peppers really need lots of sunlight and heat to grow properly. Are ya gonna try to do it all with heat lamps?
I said some are going outside. Others will be going on the window sill too.

There is a decent amount of sun in the spring and summer. It's worked out for us so far.

Last edited:

JackTheCat

Ediot
Reaction score
We got some new pawns a few days agp, mainly more Deep Blue Bolts and some Green Tigers on BF's part, to help with trying to get green through breeding. The others are more Tangerine Tigers because, which I felt like adding more.

1. The green tigers were the most shy/scared ones.

2. All the prawns being aclaimated. I don't if I mentioned before or not, but you can't just chuck them right into the tank. The shock of the environment and temperature could kill them outright. You have to put them in a clean container with the transport water and drip feed the aquarium water for several hours.
This also helps them calm down from the stress of the journey (they are pale like this when stressed).

IMG_20230524_194311.jpg

IMG_20230524_195108.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom