ASSBLONKER

GORILLA PIMP
Reaction score
Schwa, it's like "uhh", like the a in about. The most common sound in American English. In fact the word "America" has a schwa at the beginning and end. Supposedly Flemish Dutch don't use it, Afrikaans use it all the time.

Not sure if you make the sound, it's like a lazy a or u. (IPA: ə or ʌ)
  • ⟨a⟩, as in about [əˈbaʊ̯t]
  • ⟨e⟩, as in taken [ˈtʰeɪ̯kən]
  • ⟨i⟩, as in pencil [ˈpʰɛnsəl]
  • ⟨o⟩, as in memory [ˈmɛməɹi]
  • ⟨u⟩, as in supply [səˈpʰlaɪ̯]
  • ⟨y⟩, as in sibyl [ˈsɪbəl]
  • unwritten, as in rhythm [ˈɹɪðəm]
The ʌ is used in words like in English "cup", "luck", and "putt".

In UK English the schwa is also the final -er like in teacher. But in American English the -er is more pronounced.
SCHWALLOW DEEZ NUTTS MY NIGGA

Lovecraft

14 cats in a trenchcoat
Reaction score
lol amerimutt cope
it boils down to cultural reasons, i.e russian is very popular language yet very little od global culture is created in it and russians don't choose to learn english because their culture is all "fuck america"
it's more complicated then hurr durr you learn english because you wanna watch netflix
Russian culture and entertainment media seems to be 90% "everything is bleak and dark, life is a meaningless torment from cradle to grave. Time for another bottle of vodka."
Which doesn't lend itself to cross-cultural appeal.
Also, it is quite easy to make something "popular" if you force people to use it.

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
The thing is that English isn't One language, it is half a dozen languages in a trenchcoat masquerading as a single language.
Britain got fucked over and invaded so many times over the years by Romans, Danes, Norwegians, Normanns, Saxons, Krauts (royalty) and more, and had several distinct separate languages even before that.
There are so many special cases and exceptions from grammatical "rules" in English that the exceptions pretty much are the rules.
So yeah, I can totally see how it is a nuisance to learn from somebody raised learning moonspeak.
Sure but if you're mindful of said exceptions and can identify what words look frenchish or latinish its not hard to figure out the use case

English grammar is actually far less complicated than Romance languages for example

Lovecraft

14 cats in a trenchcoat
Reaction score
Sure but if you're mindful of said exceptions and can identify what words look frenchish or latinish its not hard to figure out the use case

English grammar is actually far less complicated than Romance languages for example
Of course it is. It had to be dumbed down so the common pleb could speak it.
I always wanted to learn French, but I really don't have an ear for languages and it quickly became frustrating having to remember what gender a bloody chair is supposed to be in context.

haeByung

자지 (게이 아님)
Reaction score
I'm retarded and can't speak from experience but I've always felt like the "English is hard" meme comes from the fact that most people who are learning English are kind of forced to out of circumstance and not due to genuine interest

If anything English is one of the most streamlined and accessible languages spoken widely in the world today

For example: @Lovecraft is ESL but he speaks English more fluently than a lot of people in my hometown
Difficulty of learning English or any other language differs greatly based on what your native language is.

It's much easier for Europeans to learn English than it is for Koreans whose language has nothing in common with English. It has a completely different grammatical structure, vocabulary, pronounciation and writing system, which other European languages share with English to varying degrees.

It's the same way if westerners try to learn a Asian language.

When I went to Japan, I was speaking Japanese somewhat fluently after 6 months. Many westerners I've met there couldn't put together a coherent sentence in Japanese even after living there for years.

chuj

a regular degenerate; lowest of the low
Reaction score
Difficulty of learning English or any other language differs greatly based on what your native language is.

It's much easier for Europeans to learn English than it is for Koreans whose language has nothing in common with English. It has a completely different grammatical structure, vocabulary, pronounciation and writing system, which other European languages share with English to varying degrees.

When I went to Japan, I was speaking Japanese somewhat fluently after 6 months. Many westerners I've met there couldn't put together a coherent sentence in Japanese even after living there for years.
can confirm after 32 years of watching anime i still can't speak japanese

Likeicare

Always right
Reaction score
it's great when europeans act all smug about knowing 2 languages and call americans retarded for only knowing one when the only reason they know two is because their native tongue is niche and practically useless and they basically have to learn english while in america it's the other way around. what's the rush to learn other languages when you already know the unofficial language of the planet
this is true to an extent. most places you go to you have a high likelihood of finding someone who has at least basic english skills

tbh though ive been a little surprised at the amount of people in a very international city like Shanghai for example, that dont speak any english

A Fucking Box

Site Pwner
Reaction score
1. how old were you when you started to learn and became fluent in english
2. do most people your age in your country know english
like 9 idk, i went to a good side-school and was a heavy internet luser so i learnt very quick and also im smart and genius
Yes most greeks know english and most youngsters know it pretty well
But they will speak with heavy greek accent (no accent/normal human accent)

A Fucking Box

Site Pwner
Reaction score
it's great when europeans act all smug about knowing 2 languages and call americans retarded for only knowing one when the only reason they know two is because their native tongue is niche and practically useless and they basically have to learn english while in america it's the other way around. what's the rush to learn other languages when you already know the unofficial language of the planet
hes right tbqhwufam
this is true to an extent. most places you go to you have a high likelihood of finding someone who has at least basic english skills

tbh though ive been a little surprised at the amount of people in a very international city like Shanghai for example, that dont speak any english
its like droopy said, there chinkspeak is the world dominating lingua franca so they have no reason to learn white devil talk

ASSBLONKER

GORILLA PIMP
Reaction score

YES CUZ ARE BRAINS ARENT WIRED TO PROCESS PING PONG LING LING FAX MACHINE SOUNDS PROPERLY, SO WE HAVE DIFFICULYY LEARNING ASIAN INSECT SKITTER TONGUE LOL,, WE CAN ONLY SPEAK HUMAN BEING LANGUAHE (BOSNIAN)

lurk

Dramacrat
Reaction score
studied mandarin through Pimsleur's audio for about a year then hit a wall, realized i was only mimicking the sounds i was hearing. got an online teacher and once i broke through that block, the rest came pretty easy... with constant study and practice. stopped after a full year of lessons since i had no real use for speaking middle kingdom.

Top Bottom