Baka

#1 German American
Reaction score
IDK what's up with americans and moving out of their parents' home. Where I'm from it's not unusual to live with your parents and even your grandparents (although right now that might be because we're poor). And especially in older times it's common to have houses be used for many generations of the same family across Europe as I understand. Americans like to abandon their elderly at shitty dipalidated nursing homes to die. This is a consequence of cutting yourself off from your extended family by moving away. Not saying this doesnt happen here either but in america this is more than the norm, it is expected by society itself, and if you don't do it you're seen as weird and bad.
nobody goes into a nursing home unless they absolutely have to.

the people in the home i work need round the clock care a person with no medical training would be able to give.

Raddy

Healer's Fist
Reaction score
IDK what's up with americans and moving out of their parents' home. Where I'm from it's not unusual to live with your parents and even your grandparents (although right now that might be because we're poor). And especially in older times it's common to have houses be used for many generations of the same family across Europe as I understand. Americans like to abandon their elderly at shitty dipalidated nursing homes to die. This is a consequence of cutting yourself off from your extended family by moving away. Not saying this doesnt happen here either but in america this is more than the norm, it is expected by society itself, and if you don't do it you're seen as weird and bad.
Americans have a fucked up view of intergenerational living, its kinda sad.

Ppl think living with family is mooching off of shit and they don't realize that your parents and grandparents will kick your ass if they see you being a NEET.
Come home late and spend the next day lazing around on the couch hung over and recovering?
Granny gonna bean you with her chancla if you by 7 am if you aren't up and doing something productive.

Part of the warped sense comes from ppl thinking living with your parents means you're Onideus and living off of your moms welfare checks instead getting a real job. Theres plenty of bums doing that, but that's cuz their parents allow it I reckon.

My family kicked my ass so hard growing up I gotta be working or I start climbing walls and thinking about starting fires. It's an industrious form of Stockholm syndrome but I like it. Better than being a lazy mooch.
But id be ok with living with a big family, if mine weren't crazy.

Likeicare

Always right
Reaction score
Americans have a fucked up view of intergenerational living, its kinda sad.

Ppl think living with family is mooching off of shit and they don't realize that your parents and grandparents will kick your ass if they see you being a NEET.
Come home late and spend the next day lazing around on the couch hung over and recovering?
Granny gonna bean you with her chancla if you by 7 am if you aren't up and doing something productive.

Part of the warped sense comes from ppl thinking living with your parents means you're Onideus and living off of your moms welfare checks instead getting a real job. Theres plenty of bums doing that, but that's cuz their parents allow it I reckon.

My family kicked my ass so hard growing up I gotta be working or I start climbing walls and thinking about starting fires. It's an industrious form of Stockholm syndrome but I like it. Better than being a lazy mooch.
But id be ok with living with a big family, if mine weren't crazy.
everyones situation is different

i find it pretty hard to identify with AFB when he talks about social stuff such as living at home because as even though im not particularly upper class (in australia) my living standards are a lot higher than the average europeans

chuj

a regular degenerate; lowest of the low
Reaction score
when it comes to getting parents you live with gifts the best and most mutually beneficial option is to get them shit you want to use around a house as a gift. my dad was very stubborn about buying a new axe so i got him axe i wanted as a gift. i was to lazy to wash dishes in the sink so i got them some money to buy a dishwasher etc.
idk if that's manipulative or not but at least everyone's happy

Last edited:

Sleepy

Top G
Reaction score
Yes. To a point. November though February still sucked. Who the fuck wants to remodel during Christmas or Thanksgiving. And good luck trying to put up siding in January/February weather.

The construction industry wasn't completely saturated with illegals. Now in construction the only non-illegals you'll find are ones in specialized skilled jobs, ie electricians, masons, engineers, surveyors etc. but now there are illegals are creeping in because -- just have it inspected and signed off on by an American company and you're good, if the journeyman/labor is illegal who's gonna know? Now you'll have illegal plumbers, electricians, masons, etc. Long gone are the "tu gringo puta" roofing crew.

Drive by any construction site and I bet you'll see nothing but illegals/dreamers doing the grunt/semi-skilled work. It's the only way they can keep costs down. Lumber was through the roof for the last 8 months and to the point where it shut down projects.

But, the reason why the old days were like that was largely due to an economy that was functional and inflationary repercussions were held to a minimum. And people were accepting that if you spent too much money in credit purchases you would fuck yourself in the long run. Now, it's the exact opposite.

The name of the game now IS credit spending. Get the job first, spend what you have to complete it and dump it on the market. With the real estate market as it is in most places, any construction cost overage will be covered by the increased sale price, and you still will make profit.
you would like it here in Canada. Still completely possible to carve out a modest living in less skilled stuff like Drywall, Roofing, Siding, etc. You wont make crazy money or anything unless you run your own company but it's enough to be financially independent.

Roofing especially. Roofers here make about as much money as carpenters and masons, with no education required. Was going to get into it myself until I realized how many guys I worked with had permanent brain damage from sun-stroke.

Now I'm taking an industrial welding course where instead of brain damage I can huff toxic fumes all day and have sexy arc eyes :cool:

GAPanda

Newfag
Reaction score
Apartment with my partner and child. Software engineer but I know only enough about programming to do my job. Someday they'll realize I don't know jackshit about anything and replace me with more Indians.

Top Bottom